[A-Bomber] DAOC

edited October 2001 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    hey who all is going to try daoc? i'll probably get it to try out. it comes out on oct 9th
  • edited December 1969
    Re: DAOC

I just picked it up today. I'm wondering who all's got the game and what all servers/realms you're playing on?
    -ysd
  • edited December 1969
    Aye

Wifey and I are on Palomides in Midgard. Currently we are still playing disposable characters.
  • edited December 1969
    What is it?

Obviously, I don't have it. I'm still curious as to what it is. Then I might check it out.

I had the same problem when people were talking about SMAC. At the time, I had no idea what it was. Once someone told me, it turned out that I actually had the game and I still have it installed (and played recently) on my computer.

Darklord

AnimationDL.gif
  • axxaxx
    edited December 1969
    Dark age of Camelot
    Obviously, I don't have it. I'm still curious as to what it is.
    Then I might check it out.

I had the same problem when people were talking about SMAC. At
    the time, I had no idea what it was. Once someone told me, it
    turned out that I actually had the game and I still have it
    installed (and played recently) on my computer.

Darklord
    it's an MMORPG, like evercrack.

-ax
  • edited December 1969
    online and pay each month?

If so, forget it. (at least for now with Myth 3 coming out sometime in the future).

Darklord

AnimationDL.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Yes and yes...

It will prolly be $12.95 per month. When you buy it, you get 30 days free online.

My friend Hexx is currently all "giddy" about it. And plays for hours per day.

I won't touch the box with a 10' pole.

N8

^A^ Apoc Home Page
  • edited December 1969
    Re: DAOC

I love the idea of laying seige to castles and having wars between realms but I can't bring myself to condone or support pay-to-play games. I don't want the gaming industry to change, through greed, into a system where you have to buy the game and rent the ability to play it.

• edited December 1969
    Crack Instructions

DAoC is a big BIG computer adventure roleplaying game that's got lots of 3D bells and whistles. If you are new to the whole Massive Muliplayer experience and want to try one, I suggest Everquest - mainly because you can get a copy of the "basic" edition for ultra cheap and subscribe for a month to see if you like it.

Yes! Play a MMORPG if:

1) You type fast.

2) You like that ol' D&D feel.

3) You have no problem making online friends in less than a minute.

4) Seeing you own character _really_ cast magic spells gives you a woody.

No! Don't play because:

1) You want a life. (Time investment can be heavy on these types of games.)

2) When you get down to it, it nothing more than hunt-bat, kill-bat, loot-bat-wing, sell-bat-wing, rinse, repeat.

3) The idea of paying $49.95 + 12 x 11.95 = $193.35 for a game is ridiculous.

4) Pixel T&A doesn't turn you on.

Now, my case is totally different because my wife and I play as a team - which has this whole psycho-psexual dynamic going. Her character does all the talking (typing) and I just sit around staring at the sky. Now that EQ has broken us in as a team we know how to do it right.

Personally we think DAoC is the best to be produced so far... BUT it's obviously going to be MONTHS (@ 2 to 4 hrs / day) before we get in spitting distance of a siege weapon. Those things are not for newbie consumption.

For those of you who do try DAoC - look for my wife and me on the Palomedies server, realm of Midgard. I'm Tokk, 7th level Troll Shaman, and she's Silith, 10th level Human Thane.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Crack Instructions

Well, I've played it for a week, it's pretty good. I'm not sure it has the depth of EQ, when it comes to different areas and monsters and such you can see, and definately with items and such.

One major difference is that there is no item rat race like in EQ. This can be percieved as good or bad. You can't necessarily set yourself apart by what cool items you have, but you also don't always have to worry about getting 'that' item when you're supposed to. Of course you need to get the better armor and weapons when you reach a level, but you can get it from merchants and such. Of course, this is only through 10th level I've found it.

Also, since you can dye your armors at pretty much any level, the signifance of seeing someone run past in bright red armor or such is not nearly as much. The better colors are more expensive, but you can still look pretty cool with the cheap stuff.

But anyways, the emphasis seems to be more on striving to get yourself the good abilities you get as you level, more than the items. Since EVERYONE keeps getting new spells, combat styles, and other abilities as they level, this makes it much more interesting as far as I can tell.

There are many things they added which you can tell they did to improve it over EQ. The grouping system is great, makes it much easier to find groups. The fact you don't need a mage to bind you is also great. Early ressurection spells make life easier. Horses to transport you about, although so far I haven't needed them. Very little zoning, although the fact groups and buffs die when you zone is a pain in the ass. Hope they change that.

As for what I've done so far, I have a 10th level Firbolg Warden in the realm of Hibernia on the Kay server(newest server). I'm really liking the character, as he can do pretty much everything. Good melee, good healer(has res at 10), good buffs(team and solo, including a run speed buff), and archery ability. I love archery! I was in a group with a bunch of rangers the other day, and it was a sight to behold. We were taking out the mobs before they could reach us! And it makes for a great pulling tool.

So I'm having a good time for now, but I'm not sure how much I will enjoy it when I get to a higher level and get tired of the somewhat limited selection of hunting grounds and start doing the pvp. We'll see.
    -ysd (Rowanash)
    For those of you who do try DAoC - look for my wife and me on
    the Palomedies server, realm of Midgard. I'm Tokk, 7th level
    Troll Shaman, and she's Silith, 10th level Human Thane.
  • edited December 1969
    Sorry for not noticing this sooner...

I joined DAOC the day it was released with about ten people from the Ultima Online guild I used to be in. I'm "Griminald", in the Albion Realm on the Percival Server.

My guild on there is using me as a money sink, donating money to my level 7 Armsman so I can boost my Armorcrafting skill high. :)
    I just picked it up today. I'm wondering who all's got the game
    and what all servers/realms you're playing on?
    -ysd

Eternal Circle Association (to which my UO/DAOC guilds are affiliated)