[Croaker #CP#V] Anybody play American Army?

edited July 2002 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have. It's pretty frustrating so far. You have to 'qualify' online to graduate out of MOUT training but nobody seems to know exactly how to do that. The games are about 6 minutes long but once you get killed you are out of the game until the next one starts up so until you get the hang of things and figure out where you're going (I still haven't figured out where and what the objectives are I just shoot stuff), and learn how to identify friend from foe (one of the toughest aspects of the game), you do a lot of watching and very very very little playing. Oh and there's lot's and lot's of cussing 'cause it's on gamespy and sometimes things don't work the way they're supposed to. Or maybe the game is just being too accurate in portraying the consistancy of a lazer tag system. It'll drive you crazy when you shoot someone with 3 bursts at point blank and nothing happens till he shoots you once and you're dead.

You go through basic training offline and have to qualify in marksmanship before you can go on to the obstacle course and then alternate weapons orientation then you can go online for MOUT training. You have to graduate out of MOUT before you can go on missions. And everything is tracked score wise which dictates your job and ranking. For instance, you have to score 36 out of 40 targets on the firing range to qualify for sniper school, then graduate from sniper school in order to be a sniper. You can't just feel like playing sniper in a game, you've got to qualify for the job.

With a squad of guys who kinda know what they're doing and on teamspeak, you'd probably kick serious butt. I don't know... I like the game until I start playing it. Then I'm just cursing and trying to keep from putting my foot through the computer screen. But I'm determined to qualify out of MOUT, however the hell you go about doing that. :\n
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Anybody play American Army?

I have it. Haven't had the opportunity to play much though. Still in markmanship training... but just cause I'm not leaving till I get into sniper school. ;) Only went through the trial a couple times though. I hope you get the hang of it though.
    -ysd
  • edited December 1969

yeah a few of my old Dark Age of Camelot buddies and I play it every night. Its pretty fun with a few people who you know on your team, but basically its a slow paced counterstrike.... i think i like counterstrike better. Anyway, the 'check points' on the MOUT map should show up on your compass up at the top of your screen (the little A B and Cs). you 'use' a checkpoint to put the flag on it and 'capture' it. I'm not really sure what you do to graduate, i just played MOUT for 2 hrs and then i had graduated.... some of the other maps are pretty fun, I like insurgance a lot. I found a bunch of TOTAL LAMERS on MOUT, but when i was playing on some of the other maps, people seemed much more friendly and competent.... prolly cuz its such a pain in the ass to figure out how to get past MOUT ;)
  • edited December 1969

Downloaded it, went through the basic training, but I'm afraid this one is a bit too real for my tastes.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Hmmm...I'll have to give it a look
    yeah a few of my old Dark Age of Camelot buddies and I play it
    every night. Its pretty fun with a few people who you know on
    your team, but basically its a slow paced counterstrike.... i
    think i like counterstrike better. Anyway, the 'check points' on
    the MOUT map should show up on your compass up at the top of
    your screen (the little A B and Cs). you 'use' a checkpoint to
    put the flag on it and 'capture' it. I'm not really sure what
    you do to graduate, i just played MOUT for 2 hrs and then i had
    graduated.... some of the other maps are pretty fun, I like
    insurgance a lot. I found a bunch of TOTAL LAMERS on MOUT, but
    when i was playing on some of the other maps, people seemed much
    more friendly and competent.... prolly cuz its such a pain in
    the ass to figure out how to get past MOUT ;)
    A little over halfway through NWN, and have WC3 up on deck (although it is a resource game...the graphics have a kinda Comic-Saturday morning look, so I'll give it a try I guess)...anyways, question? is this the game that it Army spent several Million DOLLARS on to try and get more recruits??

McGyver#CP#W
    Gradute of the Gen. Custer School of Battlefield Managment
  • edited December 1969
    Yep. That's the one.

The rumor is that to graduate from MOUT your team has to win 5 out of 7 with no roe (friendly fire). But that's almost impossible with people constantly hopping in and out of games so I think it's more likely a personal score with no roe.

• edited December 1969
    Re: Anybody play American Army? [nt]