Halo on PC/Mac

edited July 2002 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Well, they finally announced who was going to do it...

They are guessing that it's a year away and don't really indicate (in fact the quotes at MacGamer sort of contraindicate) that the two porting teams are going to make the PC and Mac versions work together.

We will have to see what we see in Summer 2003
  • edited December 1969
    Should be ok...

From Gamespot:
    "The multiplayer modes of both computer versions of the game will also be compatible so that PC and Macintosh users will be able to compete head-to-head online."

Not that Gamespot is the be-all and end-all of gaming news, but it makes sense that the two versions would work together. It would be crazy not to.

-Mori

• edited December 1969
    Remember POD RACER????

I rest my case.

N8
  • edited December 1969
    True...

However, there have been a whole lot more cross plat games that were compatable than not.

• edited December 1969
    But isn't it the case of...
    Well, they finally announced who was going to do it...

They are guessing that it's a year away and don't really
    indicate (in fact the quotes at MacGamer sort of contraindicate)
    that the two porting teams are going to make the PC and Mac
    versions work together.

We will have to see what we see in Summer 2003
    too little, too late? I mean, by the time that they get it out to our wonderful little machines, it will be what, 2...3 years old? Also, it just seems funny that after all this time, they are just NOW getting it to PC/Mac? Originally it was to be written for computer, then Bungie was bought by MS and it was changed to the Xbox...Now, that Xbox is not going over as well as they thought that it would, even after they have lowered the price $100,(which is REALLY cutting into the bottom line on production costs) it just seems to me that they only reason that they are releasing it to PC/Mac now is to try and increase sales to cover the losses they are taking on the Xbox...

I don't know...maybe I am just rambling...I guess it comes from paying approx $60 each for NWN and WC3...And wondering what the price of a 2+ year old game by the time it comes out is going to cost?

Stepping off of soapbox...

Woke up on the wrong side of the Universe,

McGyver
  • edited December 1969
    Nah

MS isn't releasing it to try to make up any losses, they certainly made money on Halo itself (Although they're still losing on the Xbox, and the sales of even an immensely successful PC game couldn't help that). Rather, Bungie 'insisted' on having it released and MS saw a profit and followed the path of the least resistance, thus passing the project to a couple of eager 3rd parties. If the game actually does make it out for PC (With X-plat multi), and the first patch is pretty good and out fairly quickly, I'll probably buy for $30. It looks entertaining even though I don't play shooters and it's whole shtick has been done, and done better, a year ago. I'll end up buying GTA sometime too, which is another console port that looks fun.

As to too little, too late; absolutely. I'm betting well before we see Halo for Mac the MS PR machine will be touting Halo 2 for Xbox. ;-)

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    Very probably so

My original post was basically damning with faint praise.

I have stated elsewhere that Halo for the PC/Mac will probably be yesterdays news before it comes out and if they fail to get rational multi-player to work, let alone cross platform multi, it won't even be yesterdays news unless you count a Bungie derived flop as news.

• edited December 1969
    TFL is 5 years old...

...and if it was just coming out today, I'd still buy it. I'm not saying Halo will be a great game, there are certainly plenty of ways for them to screw it up. However, if they do it right, age won't matter.

Hell, lately I've been playing Star Control 2 and loving it. It's almost 11 years old ;)

-Mori
  • edited December 1969
    GTA3
    I'll end up buying GTA sometime too, which is another console
    port that looks fun.
    GTA3 is an absolute blast. Best game I've played in a long time. Truly wonderful. The graphics are solid. The driving simulation is very well balanced between fun and realism. The missions are varied and fun. The world is large enough to give you room to roam while still being small enough to be full of careful detail. If the idea of the game appeals to you (committing crimes involving lots of cars and a little bit of shooting) then you should enjoy the game. They give you a lot of game to play through, and I still wanted more when it ended.

The only other game in the last year that gave me nearly as much fun was Jedi Knight II, which is a different sort of game, but similarly had a cool concept and was excecuted extremely well.

- Kodiak
  • edited December 1969
    Re: GTA3

I can't load saved games, when i do an error come up, The game play if fine and no probs, just loading games. HeLLLP

• edited December 1969
    little bit of shooting?????

are you telling me you dont sit out in front of your hotel and shoot a cops until you have to shoot down the helicopter? then you have to shoot up all the cops with the shotgun and fight the FBI and SWART guys?
  • edited December 1969
    Re: GTA3 [nt]

• edited December 1969
    Re: GTA3

I can't load saved games, when i do an error come up, The game
    play its fine and no probs, just loading games. HeLLLP