Pimp your (current) favourite game!

edited October 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I'm sure we've had threads like this in the last 6 months, but my memory is...well. Sorry for bringing up an old topic and being too lazy to search the forum. :)

Are any of us playing any games (preferably xplat) which they recommend the rest of us have a look at? If so, please recommend them. I'm wasting time with SimCity 4 at the moment, but would much rather be playing some action or strategy titles with a group of friends. Of course, we Mac users are still dealing with a large number of fun games having ports released several months after the PC world has lost interest in the title. I was hoping Halo would be enjoyable, but we have a fair wait there, and from what I have gathered, a few of us who have played it aren't exactly enamoured. ;)

So, pile your suggestions on. I'm getting way too much work done.

Ta,
    -Cob
  • edited December 1969
    Ghost Recon!!

Tactical, team-based shooter...very fun, especially if played with netfone (voice chat).

There's a steady group of plaid who play two or three times a week. Come visit on cphl, if we're playing, we'll announce it in our names.

SoS
  • edited December 1969
    Americas Army

You get what you pay for? Not this time. This game is free and it's got better graphics, sound, interface and gameplay than any game I've seen.
    It's a first person shooter built exclusively for team play. In fact, when you first start playing the game it's very discouraging and hard to get over the run and gun habits formed from playing every other fps ever made. But once you get the hang of it (there is a bit of a learning curve which is hard to overcome since when you die, you stay dead until the next game starts) you'll look at power ups, health/ammo drops and re-spawning as stuff for kiddy games.

• edited December 1969
    Re: Americas Army

It seems pretty damn enticing, but the system reqs are a bit out of my ball park -- G3900mhz/256mb. :( Though I must say, the price is right inside it. :) What sort of system are you running it on, Croak?
  • edited December 1969
    [b]I got a pretty old computer.[/b]

[quote]
    It seems pretty damn enticing, but the system reqs are a bit out
    of my ball park -- G3900mhz/256mb. :( Though I must say, the
    price is right inside it. :) What sort of system are you running
    it on, Croak?

[/quote]
    I'm on a PC so I'm not sure about the translation to mac but my rig's very old.

1.2 Ghz Athlon
    Geforce 2 MX 32mb
    256mb RAM

They just upgraded the graphics on the game (you cast real shadows that can give away your possition) so I lag on one of the maps, but up until the last patch my GeForce2 MX has done just fine.

Here's a graphics link of what stuff looks like. The video trailers are pretty cool. http://www.americasarmy.com/gallery/