[Zagreus] Things that bug me about Yahoo Mail.

edited December 2001 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    You're signed in but want to switch to a different account. (My gf and I end up doing this quite a bit, since one of us wants to send mail when the other is signed on.) You click "sign out."

You're presented with two links: "Sign in as different user" and "Sign out completely." You click the one to sign in as a different user. This takes you to a screen saying that you've successfully signed out, and you have to click on "Return to Yahoo Mail" to sign in again. Why didn't the link to "sign in as different user" actually allow you to sign in as a different user? Why present you with two links when they take you to exactly the same page? What is the point of this?

Counter-intuitive web design on some guy's Metallica fan page I can understand. Counter-intuitive web design on a site that draws as much traffic as Yahoo is inexplicable.

Mark

• edited December 1969
    Re: Things that bug me about Yahoo Mail.
    Counter-intuitive web design on some guy's Metallica fan page I
    can understand. Counter-intuitive web design on a site that
    draws as much traffic as Yahoo is inexplicable.
    Man. I so agree with this.

There is one reason and one reason only for that page. Pimping ad impressions.

And it's going to get worse before it gets better. At a recent advertising conference, Greg Coleman, Yahoo!'s exec VP of North American operations, said "On a scale of one to ten, he thought the ads on Yahoo were currently a three in terms of intrusiveness, but he thinks they should be a six to make the model work."

_/ C

Yahoo's ads may be painful, but also necessary-exec
  • edited December 1969
    is there any way....

to easily archive off a bunch of messages? I'd love to take my 'saved' messages that I'll probably never look at again but want to save just in case and plop em somewhere else. Any easy way to do this? I had to start a second account a year or so ago because 1) my 'first' one was getting way too much spam and 2) it was full. If I could easily save the 1000 or so CP messages that are there, I'd not have to keep trying to squeeze a bit more space out if it (yes, I know... I could buy more space, but ... well... it seems odd to pay for a free e-mail account, heh).

Anyway, any easy way? just curious (:

Conner

• edited December 1969
    Re: Things that bug me about Yahoo Mail.
    And it's going to get worse before it gets better. At a recent
    advertising conference, Greg Coleman, Yahoo!'s exec VP of North
    American operations, said "On a scale of one to ten, he
    thought the ads on Yahoo were currently a three in terms of
    intrusiveness, but he thinks they should be a six to make the
    model work."
    I've been using My Yahoo as my home page for well over two years. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when the popup ads started when clicking on news/weather, etc. It was about a month or two before that weather underground (my once daily weather site) starting doing that and now I don't visit them anymore. I guess it's good I'm using Moz... I'll have to figure out the blocking thing after all... sigh... sad day for net lurkers :(

charon.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Archiving Yahoo! Mail
    [is there a way] to easily archive off a bunch of messages?
    With POP access, you can archive them off anywhere you like. Go into Y! Mail options and enable POP access (the price you pay for this is receiving a couple of Yahoo! Delivers emails per month, which are easily dispatched to the trash with a filter).

Once you have enabled POP access, use your favorite email client to pop your mail over to your computer. Be sure to set your email client's "Leave a copy on the server" option turned on if you'd rataher manage messages via the Yahoo! Mail interface.

Any questions, lemme know.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    thanks! one question...
    Any questions, lemme know.
    is there a way to pull mail from folders other than the inbox? Using NS 6 mail (ya ya... old habits die hard, heh)
    _/ C
    Conner

• edited December 1969
    Re: thanks! one question...
    is there a way to pull mail from folders other than the inbox?
    Using NS 6 mail (ya ya... old habits die hard, heh)
    Unfortunately no, because there's currently no IMAP interface to Y! mail (though I hear that may be offered for a tiny fee soon).

It's fairly simple to move messages around in folders, though, even by the hundreds. Go into Options, set your # of messages in list view to some huge number, then move your inbox messages to some temporary folder, fill your inbox with what you want to archive, pop the mail off the yahoo server, and shuffle the messages around again.

Clumsy, but it works.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Re: thanks! one question...
    Unfortunately no, because there's currently no IMAP interface to
    Y! mail (though I hear that may be offered for a tiny fee soon).

It's fairly simple to move messages around in folders, though,
    even by the hundreds. Go into Options, set your # of messages in
    list view to some huge number, then move your inbox messages to
    some temporary folder, fill your inbox with what you want to
    archive, pop the mail off the yahoo server, and shuffle the
    messages around again.

Clumsy, but it works.

_/ C
    yep - thought of this *after* I snagged everything out of my 'old' acct - 1400+ messages, heh (:

Conner