Vanilla Coke SUCKS.

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Re: Whatabout Vanilla Pepsi?

I recently tried Vanilla Pepsi, and I liked it a LOT more than Vanilla Coke. I was initially somewhat afraid to even try it, considering the effect that Vanilla Coke had on my tongue.

As far as that other guy's thing about brand loyalty goes, feh. That may be true for most of the unwashed masses, but I'm more motivated by taste and price than brand. Marketing weasels can kiss my grits :)

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Re: The Cola Cold Truth
    I'll assume marketing is not your cup of tea. I'll walk you
    through it.
    Gee... thanks. :P
    Both Coke and Pepsi have what's called brand loyal consumers. If
    you are a loyal Pepsi drinker and Coke offers a Vanilla you may
    or may not try it. If you try it and repeatedly like it because
    of the added flavor, Pepsi lost one of its hard-core consumers.

Now, if Pepsi "Copies" Coke with this Vanilla flavor,
    then its loyal consumers will remain loyal to Pepsi. It is wise
    to keep its consumers for switching.

Further, Coke is NO industry leader. Take PowerAde, its nothing
    more than a mere ripoff of Gatorade. How about Mr Pibb? Ripoff
    of Dr Pepper. Sprite? Ripoff of 7up. Point taken?
    Yeah, it took Coke 87 years to copy Dr. Pepper. And 32 years to copy 7up -- except without the Lithium.

I'm sorry if I made the impression that I thought coke was "first" and the "industry leader" and all Pepsi did was copy IT. No, no, I'm fully aware that Coke has the same history of using its Microsoft-like muscle to horn in on other drink product turf. Vis-a-vis Frutopia vs. Snapple.

And of course there's Coke's Dasani and Pepsi's Aquafina vs. Nestle's Perrier and Danone's Evian...

And yes, it's patently obvious that if one company comes out with a modified product that enjoys a modicum of success, the other must copy it to retain its customer brand loyalty.

I guess you missed my point. I found it ridiculous the way they marketed it -- it's like they pulled the curtain and flaunted the Wizard of Oz to our faces. Look, Loyal Pepsi Drinkers, don't stray from the Flock! We still do the same things as Coke, but better! Hipper! Younger! I found it ridiculous, but I'm sure it's not ineffective.

Marketing, brand-loyalty, la dee da. I have disdain for all of humanity's energy and resources wasted on that claptrap. And I'm fully aware that I speak with total hypocrisy. (He types, on his Macintosh keyboard which one day will be pried from his cold, dead, fingers.)

--
    Chief
  • edited December 1969
    Re: The Cola Cold Truth
    Marketing, brand-loyalty, la dee da. I have disdain for all of
    humanity's energy and resources wasted on that claptrap. And I'm
    fully aware that I speak with total hypocrisy. (He types, on his
    Macintosh keyboard which one day will be pried from his cold,
    dead, fingers.)
    I have been waiting for this thread on cola preference to mutate into one on platform preference, or at least make references to it.

Speaking of Macintosh keyboards, I'm loving my iBook keyboard. Pressing each key seems fluid. Kinky! Of course, in tandem with this Microsoft™ Optical Mouse Blue©, it's unbeatable.

-Cob
  • edited December 1969
    Numbers

Worldwide Coke carries 47% of the soft drink market, while Pepsi carries 23%. By volume that makes Coke both 'first' and 'industry leader.' :)

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    Re: pepsi sucks

i disliek pepsi and think coke rocks!!!:D
  • edited December 1969
    Re: PEPSI SUX

pepsi sux!
    c o p y c a t
  • edited December 1969
    Orange Slice is where it's at

almost no fizz - fizz suxorz!
  • edited December 1969
    Orange Slice is soooooo 80s!
    almost no fizz - fizz suxorz!
    you suxorz, stop trying to shift the suxorz onto someone else...

Conner

• edited December 1969
    Mountain Dew!
    you suxorz, stop trying to shift the suxorz onto someone else...
    Takes one to know one, Con!

Changing the beverage -- Mountain Dew is where it's at! Oh dear, why did I jump back into this thread? :( What are people's* opinions of Cherry Coke? I'm yet to try it, and am more than a little tentative to do so.

Looking at this thread reminds me I am yet to try Brisk and Snapple. I haven't seen either in any supermarkets yet (and please hit me, I've been scouring the aisles for them...). Any idea if they're shipped out of Canadia™, Moofin?

-Cob
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Mountain Dew!
    Looking at this thread reminds me I am yet to try Brisk and
    Snapple. I haven't seen either in any supermarkets yet (and
    please hit me, I've been scouring the aisles for them...). Any
    idea if they're shipped out of Canadia™, Moofin?
    Snapple was bought by Cadbury Schweppes in 2000. I always thought Snapple originated in New York. But, I'm sure it's bottled in Canada too. I don't know where you guys would get it from.

Lipton Brisk is owned by Unilever (!) and is in partnership with Pepsi to distribute their products. I'm not a big fan of it, I think it tastes too artificial -- that acid they add really claws at the throat. But, I don't mind the flavoured varieties.

So, I don't know if Austrilia would get the goods from Canadia or not, but I'm surprised you can't find them :)
  • edited December 1969
    Snapple was bought by Cadbury Schweppes in 2000. I always
    thought Snapple originated in New York. But, I'm sure it's
    bottled in Canada too. I don't know where you guys would get it
    from.

Lipton Brisk is owned by Unilever (!) and is in partnership with
    Pepsi to distribute their products. I'm not a big fan of it, I
    think it tastes too artificial -- that acid they add really
    claws at the throat. But, I don't mind the flavoured varieties.

So, I don't know if Austrilia would get the goods from Canadia
    or not, but I'm surprised you can't find them :)
    you're just mad cause your Canadian Mountain Dew has NO caffeine! The horror! That's like Myth without Blood! Egads!

Conner

• edited December 1969
    you're just mad cause your Canadian Mountain Dew has NO
    caffeine! The horror! That's like Myth without Blood! Egads!
    Yeah, in Canada, it is illegal to add caffeine to non-cola products, unless the caffeine occurs in a "natural" ingredient. Hence the new "energy" drinks with added guaran
  • edited December 1969
    I wouldn't say rulz, but it's far from nasty

The lemon flavour is rather subtle, but makes the drink oddly more interesting. Though, I must say, the artificial sweetener remains at least equally as noticeable as the lemon flavour. That's the major reason I've never drunk terribly much Diet Coke. The artificial sweetener hides the cola too much. :(

-Cob
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Looking back over this thread[/b]

I'd say, at a guess, it holds the record for a thread with the most views of replies which are clearly labeled as no text. Nate's Diet Coke with Lemon______Rulz [nt] having (at the time of writing) 417 views with only 5 direct replies, one of which, Ratbert's Pepsi Twist: The only way to make Pepsi drinkable... [nt], having 601 views with only 2 direct replies.

While I find these numbers interesting, I find that I felt it necessary to post about it more interesting/disturbing. ;)

-Cob
  • edited December 1969
    Just when you thouight the soda (pop) thread was dead...

It Lives!!

Thanks to Diet Coke with....Lime.

Who's tasted it? What do you think?

Lime Diet Coke hits U.S. stores
  • edited December 1969
    Yay!
    It Lives!!
    Whoo!
    Thanks to Diet Coke with....Lime.

Who's tasted it? What do you think?
    I find it just a wee bit foul. It tastes okay going down, but the aftertastes of the diet coke and lime don't really jive well.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Lemon Coke tastes like ass - Pepsi lemon is better.
    All you little fuckers that say pepsi is beter than coke should let your balls drop and grow a little hair on them. pepsi is for all the gay fuckers who can go near a girl without getting wood so if you have a problem then tell your mom cause i am sure you still live with her
  • edited December 1969
    That's the adjective!
    Whoo!

I find it just a wee bit foul. It tastes okay going down, but
    the aftertastes of the diet coke and lime don't really jive
    well.
    Skunky! That's the proper word.

It tastes kind of skunky! Just like beer from an old keg going through taps that haven't been cleaned in a little too long. That's what the aftertastes jive to make--a similar sort of flavor modification, although with a dramatically different starting flavor point, as skunky beer.

-Eye
  • edited December 1969
    I believe this Guy.....

...cause of all the posters on this thread, this guy seems the most likely to have actually tasted ass.

Keep up the Good Work!

N8
  • edited December 1969
    [b]If you ask me...[/b]

He should worry less about what other people think about soda, and worry more about his High Jump and Javelin Throw results:

http://www.shsaa.ca/pages/activities/track/2003_res/midget_boys.htm

C'mon Kyle, you can do better than that! Make Mommy & Daddy proud!

[url=http://www.shsaa.ca/pages/activities/track/2003_res/midget_boys.htm]find "Kyle Spetz"[/url]
    [img]http://pics.sonofspam.com/high-jump_tip.gif[/img]
  • edited December 1969
    [b]LOL[/b]

[quote]
    He should worry less about what other people think about soda,
    and worry more about his High Jump and Javelin Throw results:

[/quote]
    [quote]
    http://www.shsaa.ca/pages/activities/track/2003_res/midget_boys.htm
    C'mon Kyle, you can do better than that! Make Mommy & Daddy
    proud!

[/quote]
    Kyle honey, you suck at that sport. Too busy comparing ass taste to popular sodas I bet.

Follow your dreams!

FW

[url=http://bs.bungie.org/]Bungie Sightings[/url]
  • edited December 1969
    Re: That's the adjective!
    Skunky! That's the proper word.

It tastes kind of skunky! Just like beer from an old keg going
    through taps that haven't been cleaned in a little too long.
    That's what the aftertastes jive to make--a similar sort of
    flavor modification, although with a dramatically different
    starting flavor point, as skunky beer.
    Interestingly, lime or lemon are used to hide skunky tastes.

Skunky taste in beer is often caused by a reaction to light. This is why most beer is bottled in dark glass bottles. Corona, as a counter-example, is bottled in a clear glass bottle. If it is exposed to too much light during shipment, it can get skunky. Hence, marketers have picked up on the practice of adding lime to Corona. It's not just a kitschy thing to do, it's a practical thing to do -- the lime hides the skunky flavour developed due to exposure to light.

So I'm wondering if your description of the flavour is somehow connected with the flavour of Corona that you may have sampled in the past?

--
    Chief

• edited December 1969
    Re: Lemon Coke tastes like ass - Pepsi lemon is better.

Don't drink the carbonated poison...it will damage your ability to think...obviously. I just drank some and I feel stupid.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: In regards to Pepsi Twist

What happened to pepsi twist?that was my favorite soda!!!!
  • edited December 1969
    Travelling for a beverage
    Snapple was bought by Cadbury Schweppes in 2000. I always
    thought Snapple originated in New York. But, I'm sure it's
    bottled in Canada too. I don't know where you guys would get it
    from.
    While v thirsty and in the immediate vicinity of ridiculous cautious relatives re. tap water distributed pandemics, I took a stroll around a Parisian supermarket for something worth paying for, and happened upon a shelf or five of Snapple. Remembering this thread and my inability to buy it in Australia, I snapped a bottle up.

Can't say I was amazed by it, and won't immediately call it 'chuggable', but it was quite refreshing although sported a slight bitter twinge. I'm still searching for my Coke® replacement...

Cob

PS: Looking for the relevant section of this thread made me so glad for WebBBS's search feature. I'm so proud to be a part of this monstrosity of discussion,
  • edited December 1969
    ok, what about Vault ?

tried some Vault Zero (diet version) ... I kinda liked it, was much better than diet Mt Dew anyway...

• edited December 1969
    It's a decent taste...

The concentration of caffiene from two back to back gave me the twitches like coffee though, which MDX (aka Lime Battery Acid) didn't. Still, for taste, I'd rate it better than any other sugar fee soda I've had with caffiene.

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    oooh, looks like the soft drink thread is BACK!
  • edited December 1969
    And now that I can subscribe to this thread, I'll never worry about missing another scintillating post here EVUH AGAIN.
  • edited December 1969
    so, sometime last year I stopped guzzling caffeine... switching from diet pepsi to diet sprite (and some other non-caffeinated diet soft drinks). I have caffeine on occasion, but not very often. This morning I was out of diet sprite in the fridge, so I drank a diet pepsi. EEEEEWWWWW! how did I use to drink this, it's freakin nasty.

so, now I'll have to say it... diet colas suck - all of them!!!