[Kodiak] Messenger Service!?!?

edited May 2003 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have a technical problem, and I was hoping someone would know what was going on.

I'm running WindowsXP, and lately I've been getting messages popping up on my screen in the form of a window titled "Messenger Service" where the window contains some sort of spam. This happens even if I'm not running Windows Messenger or AIM or anything like that. I've set Windows Messenger to not load on startup, and this still happens. Any idea what this is?

Any help is appreciated.

- Kodiak
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Messenger Service!?!?[/b]

You are probably experiencing what has come to be a common problem with Windows machines - sneakly little programs that do something simple like data mining your system while you are browsing or even the extreme of hijacking it to make changes and display ads like the one you see. They get installed by taking advantage of your system when it recieves cookies/filesharing, etc. I'd recommend getting this program by Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and running it a few times a month. Its free, fast and it has worked on all my system spam like yours.

[quote]
    I have a technical problem, and I was hoping someone would know
    what was going on.

I'm running WindowsXP, and lately I've been getting messages
    popping up on my screen in the form of a window titled
    "Messenger Service" where the window contains some
    sort of spam. This happens even if I'm not running Windows
    Messenger or AIM or anything like that. I've set Windows
    Messenger to not load on startup, and this still happens. Any
    idea what this is?

Any help is appreciated.

- Kodiak
    [/quote]
  • edited December 1969
    Good advice, but that's not it :)

Adaware is a great program, and you should definately run it every once in a while, but the kinds of things it stops aren't what's causing this.

There's a function of NetBIOS (the protocol that Windows uses for file and printer sharing) that allows for sending messages over a network. It's been in NetBIOS forever, but spamers have recently discovered it, and they're abusing the hell out of it. That's what you're seeing.

To stop it you can remove NetBIOS, but if you ever want to do anything with a LAN you're going to need it, so the best bet is to setup a firewall. I'd recommend hardware, routers are pretty cheap these days, but baring that you can go with a software firewall like ZoneAlarm.

If you don't want to mess with configuring a firewall to forward the ports that you need, you could have it pass everything but the ports NetBIOS uses, 137, 138, and 139.

-Mori

• edited December 1969
    I had the same problem. Here's the fix.

Got to:
    Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> double click on the "Services" icon and scroll down to "Messenger", right click on it and go to "properties".
    Under the General tab there's a drop down menu called "Startup Type:", highlight "Disabled" in that menu. Hit "Apply" and you'll not be bothered again.

-Croaker-
  • edited December 1969
    Thank You!

I made the change. Thanks alot!

- Kodiak
  • edited December 1969
    [b]AdAware[/b]

[quote]
    You are probably experiencing what has come to be a common
    problem with Windows machines - sneakly little programs that do
    something simple like data mining your system while you are
    browsing or even the extreme of hijacking it to make changes and
    display ads like the one you see. They get installed by taking
    advantage of your system when it recieves cookies/filesharing,
    etc. I'd recommend getting this program by Lavasoft:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and running it a
    few times a month. Its free, fast and it has worked on all my
    system spam like yours.

[/quote]
    I've now installed AdAware, even if it isn't the fix to this problem, it's good to have.

- Kodiak
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Good advice, but that's not it :)
    To stop it you can remove NetBIOS, but if you ever want to do
    anything with a LAN you're going to need it, so the best bet is
    to setup a firewall. I'd recommend hardware, routers are pretty
    cheap these days, but baring that you can go with a software
    firewall like ZoneAlarm.
    Speaking of firewalls, what would people suggest in a hardware firewall?

- Kodiak