Vent Volume Normalization

edited August 2007 in WoW: General

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Vent Normalization makes every bodies voice the exact same volume. In essence, you won't blow your ear's out or have difficulty hearing people.

Here's how:

- Go to Setup

- Enable Direct Sound

- Select the SFX Button

- Select Compressor and click Add.

- Under Compressor Properties use the following settings

- Gain = Adjust for how loud you want people to be. (I use 15)

- Attack = 0.01

- Release = Around 500

- Threshold = Around -30

- Ratio = 100

- Pre delay = 4.0

Edit:

What the settings do - Copied and pasted from page 8

Gain
    How much volume you feed into the compressor. Not really relevant unless everyone is too quiet, then you can turn this up a little; turning it up too much will sound EXTREMELY *%*%ty.

Attack
    How fast volume change will happen. example: setting this to 500 means that any-
    thing coming in will only be dropped in volume after a half a second. for vent this should
    be set as low as possible.

Release
    how fast the compressor stops changing things. not really that relevant with vent, setting it around 500 is good for voice material.

Threshold
    This sets the point where we actually start changing what�s coming in. Whereas 0 is the absolute loudest you can have for an input, -60 is super quiet. Average users will probably come in somewhere around -25 to -15, with the occaisional few being really quiet, which is why I have this set so low.

Ratio
    How much any sound below the set threshold gets compressed and/or modified in the volume department.
    If you still want to hear SOME volume variation then set this lower (2-4)... the higher you set it the closer in volume everyone will be.

Pre delay
    Mostly just deals with processing; with computer and digital processors they can look ahead a few milliseconds to see what needs to be dropped in volume or changed before it actually comes through the speakers. Highest is ideal.

Copy+Pasted from http://www.prawnage.com/forum/showthread.php?postid=21342

Vrag found it from WoWinsider -> Wow Forums. I haven't tried it yet, but plan on it because vent for me is always crazy quiet person and crazy loud people, with crazy misc. volume enhancements and setting people from 75% to 244% to hear them properly.
  • edited December 1969
    Sounds very cool... do I need to undo all the individual user normalizations I've already made or does this override that?
  • edited December 1969
    I believe you'd need to undo all those other things. Because this does it for everyone.

I tried it on on mine (however I was only on with Garu during our impressive 6-4 run in 2v2 this week Vrag and Ellex.) But it seemed to work very well. I'll be looking to do a larger test later on, maybe on some Instances =) I do have lots of heroic keys left to get. Closest to HF, then COT then TK i think.