[Anonymous] thinking about upgrading video card

edited February 2006 in WoW: General

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have an Nvidia Geforce Ti 4400 - it just can't handle WoW properly.

I don't dare try to do a BG, because my framerates suck when I solo.

I'd like to stick to Nvidia - I will not buy ATI !

Any ideas? Anything to stay away from?

Thanks!
  • edited December 1969
    Best bang for your buck from Nvidia right now is the 6800GS at around $180-200. That'll handle anything you throw at it with ease without breaking the bank.

That may be more than you need though, so you could go with a 6600GT. It was the mid-range card last year, so it's down to around $120-130. It'll run any game out now, just not at the highest detail settings on the latest FPS games (FEAR, Battlefield 2). If running the newest games at 1600x1200 with max Anti-Aliasing turned on isn't a priority for you, it should be fine. It's certainly enough to run WoW on high detail.
  • edited December 1969
    GeFroce just released a new AGP card, the 7800GS (i believe...) which prolly runs about $300-400 right now, so the lessers 6800 line may have dropped even more.

I'm running a Radeon 9600 and do fairly well even in AV
  • edited December 1969
    I have an ATI 9600XT in the PC, and it runs wow perfectly acceptably at 1280x1024 (provided I have 1 gig ram, and don't max out all the settings).

In my mac I have the Nvidia 6600GT and with 2 gigs and settings all maxed at 1280x1024 it actually doesn't do a whole lot better for framerate. It looks better though, and is still a very playable 25 fps or 15 if things get really rough and busy -- i never feel at a disadvantage.

I agree with Moridin, if you're looking for the cheap but perfectly acceptable route, go with the 6600GT. If you have a little more money to toss around, the 6800GS will do the trick.

And I don't know why you won't buy ATI, but I hear their latest mid-range cards are quite good, price/performance-wise.
  • edited December 1969
    At home, in my PC, I have an ATI X700 Pro. This is a PCI-Express video card, and it runs WoW at like 1600x1200 with some nice Anti-Aliasing and all other settings turned up high at a respectable 20 FPS. If I drop to 1280x1024, I have rates around 45FPS. That's what I typically play at.

My most recent experience with an Nvidia card (desktop, that is) was a PCI (not even AGP) card that I bought around Xmas for my brother's computer and I couldn't get it to work correctly... It's waiting for my next trip home.

My laptop has some sort of Nvidia and it even plays WoW fine, but at much lower settings and framerates. It's quite ugly, in fact. :)

My experiences likely don't help, but I thought I'd put them out there.

Ciao!
    Garu
  • edited December 1969
    I have a 6600GT - never had any kind of framerate issues to the point it affects play. Certain locations like Org could get quite choppy soon after zoning in, but that seems to have been a memory/load time issue. Going from half to a full gig of ram meant i can walk and look around pretty much immediately after hearthing. Haven't done MC or anything, obviously... but if the card could handle the hundreds of people congregated in org during winter feast, half of them in snowball wars, with a fairly smooth framerate... and that was back before the memory upgrade.

Last I checked pricewatch had someone selling this card for about 70-80 bucks.
  • edited December 1969
    I have a 6600GT - never had any kind of framerate issues to the point it affects play. Certain locations like Org could get quite choppy soon after zoning in, but that seems to have been a memory/load time issue. Going from half to a full gig of ram meant i can walk and look around pretty much immediately after hearthing. Haven't done MC or anything, obviously... but if the card could handle the hundreds of people congregated in org during winter feast, half of them in snowball wars, with a fairly smooth framerate... and that was back before the memory upgrade.

Last I checked pricewatch had someone selling this card for about 70-80 bucks.

Yeah, memory is definitely the thing when it comes to the cities / large groups of characters, 512 MB just doesn't cut it. 1 GB is a necessity for this game.