Scrugg Plays D2, wants to join multi

edited July 2001 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hail!

Ok, so I spent a few minutes and came to see what the CP Diablo was about. I have a level 40 Necro in Hell/Act2 and a Paladin, Barbarian, Amazon all level "high 20's" in varios acts of Nightmare.

Here's my problem, I have never been able to get to multi. On the opening screen, the "Multi player" button has never been lit. I did a bit of searching on the problem, but all the help starts with "Click on Multi player"

It's something really basic that I am missing. Something so easy I will smack my forehead when I learn it.

I am updated to 1.5 on a Mac. I do have the store bought version (ie, not warez; I have the serial, etc :)

Any ideas?

Scruggler
  • edited December 1969
    Install problem?

Look for these files in your D2 install folder:

Bnclient.dll
    D2client.dll
    D2CMP.dll
    D2MCPClient.dll

I went through a long phase where I couldn't connect to US West (Although I never lost the button) and eventually it was a complete reinstall that solved my problem. I did the largest install (Space being so cheap these days ;-) and in one try I was able to get back on. However, before that I went through a few emails with Blizz tech support and these guys were among the things they had me check.

I also uploaded a file to HL called 'gatesel.exe' that sets your realm before you launch the client, early on in DII evolution there was a problem with selecting Realms that I can't even remember the details of. Probably won't help if you get no MP option though.

The latest version of Classic and Expansion Pack DII is 1.08 and it changes the game quite a bit, I think I'd try reinstalling and DL'ing this patch if the above offer nothing. If you do reinstall the 'save' directory contains all your solo characters, so copy it over. I don't remember if it has your login/pw so make sure you know these. ;-)

After the install and patch check the .txt files for obvious errors, including bnupdate.log and especially the D2(numbers).txt file. The latter file with the maybe random, maybe patterned numbers contains a lot of information, look for in particular whether or not it's finding your IP. Unsurprisingly the install logs are generally completely worthless, but pop 'em for a look anyway; they're a quick read if nothing else.

Unfixable (AFAIK) problems include the CD copy protection issue, but I thought this prevented installation entirely. If the above offers no help check with Blizzard tech support on this, and include the name of your CD hardware in the email (Or check their faq at the battle.net page). Probably the best way to get first contact with Blizz tech support is to find them in a channel online during their preset times. If you have Starcraft you can (I think) reach the DII tech support channel using SC as a chat client and ask that way.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now, maybe more later if I can dig up those emails. GL :-)

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    I think...

at the very start you can choose various levels of install - including not net play type install. *Maybe* this was the problem. I would save the character data files off and reinstall, doing a full mongo huge install. If you still have problems after that, then mb there is another issue.

Been busy with various project ::cough cough:: but had been playing quite a bit of D2 expansion - would be good to play with the ol' Scruggs (:

Conner
    Look for these files in your D2 install folder:

Bnclient.dll
    D2client.dll
    D2CMP.dll
    D2MCPClient.dll

I went through a long phase where I couldn't connect to US West
    (Although I never lost the button) and eventually it was a
    complete reinstall that solved my problem. I did the largest
    install (Space being so cheap these days ;-) and in one try I
    was able to get back on. However, before that I went through a
    few emails with Blizz tech support and these guys were among the
    things they had me check.

I also uploaded a file to HL called 'gatesel.exe' that sets your
    realm before you launch the client, early on in DII evolution
    there was a problem with selecting Realms that I can't even
    remember the details of. Probably won't help if you get no MP
    option though.

The latest version of Classic and Expansion Pack DII is 1.08 and
    it changes the game quite a bit, I think I'd try reinstalling
    and DL'ing this patch if the above offer nothing. If you do
    reinstall the 'save' directory contains all your solo
    characters, so copy it over. I don't remember if it has your
    login/pw so make sure you know these. ;-)

After the install and patch check the .txt files for obvious
    errors, including bnupdate.log and especially the
    D2(numbers).txt file. The latter file with the maybe random,
    maybe patterned numbers contains a lot of information, look for
    in particular whether or not it's finding your IP.
    Unsurprisingly the install logs are generally completely
    worthless, but pop 'em for a look anyway; they're a quick read
    if nothing else.

Unfixable (AFAIK) problems include the CD copy protection issue,
    but I thought this prevented installation entirely. If the above
    offers no help check with Blizzard tech support on this, and
    include the name of your CD hardware in the email (Or check
    their faq at the battle.net page). Probably the best way to get
    first contact with Blizz tech support is to find them in a
    channel online during their preset times. If you have Starcraft
    you can (I think) reach the DII tech support channel using SC as
    a chat client and ask that way.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now, maybe more later if I
    can dig up those emails. GL :-)

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    _Smacks Forehead_

Ok, I bet 10 bucks I didn't install the MP aspect of D2. Battle Net has such a bad rep amongst CP I sort of dimly remember thinking, "nah, I'll never go there." I told ya it was gonna be something stupid I forgot to do.

Heh, see ya soon.

Scruggler
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Can Some One Help Me PLEASE![/b]

Thanks you reading this.Each time i try to install my starcraft i put in my dc i click install and it installs but not all the way the 1st line goes 4 squares and the 2nd line goes 6 squares and it stops and doesn't go anymore no matter how long i keep the cd in there then can some one help me please thanks alot and please e-mail it to me at DstarRcraftB@msn.com cause it is hard for me to find this site again
  • edited December 1969
    Sounds like a bad CD...

Try installing it with that CD on another computer. If it still doesn't work, it's time to buy a new copy ;)

-Mori
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Sounds like a bad CD...
    Try installing it with that CD on another computer. If it still
    doesn't work, it's time to buy a new copy ;)
    Or fix the CD. Check the back -- are there visible scrapes and scuff marks? If so, a $7 CD polishing kit from Radio Shack might solve your problem.

Z