My recent gaming activity...(kinda long)

edited May 2002 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Hailz all!

Recently, I've been playing a few games that I couldn't play before with my slower vid card and MB...My opinions on them are as follows, please take with a grain of salt and such...

Rune:
    It might be just me, but it seems that the solo game consists almost entirely of killing dorfs, dead dudes, and bad guys while trying to get out of hell and seek revenge on the dude that killed you and our dad in the first place...

The graphics were not bad at all, but I did notice alot of clipping on some of the large areas...it might be that my vid card wasn't set right, I don't know...but it makes it a pain in the ass to be walking along a grate floor, with water up to your chest(when it is suppose to be BELOW) the grate, and getting attacked by crabs and little lizard dudes that you can't see because the water is in the way...I finally got so pissed off at the game I went online and got the cheat codes and God-Moded the rest of the game.

Also, the game is VERY dark...Now again, it could be my settings, but I shouldn't have to turn my gamma setting up from 6 to 55+ to be able to see in the darker rooms...after 35 or 40 levels of walk, kill, jump, walk, kill, jump, etc....I finally get to the end...(okay, okay, I skipped over about 15 levels to get to the last 5 to see if the game actually did have an end), kill the guy and his henchmen that killed me and dad in the beginning of the game, and then walk through a Rune stone and walk across a Rainbow Bridge to Valhalla...The ending could have been better...but, since I can't code, I guess I can't talk...

MW4:
    Very Good Game...both the original and the expansion...I steeper learning curve than some games..and you DEFINATELY need a 3D joystick (one that twists to allow mech torso twist while still walking, etc)...without, it would probably be almost impossible.

The graphics are top notch...one of the only games that I have played where when you blow up a part on the target (arm, missile pod, etc.), you actually see it blow up on the target and on your targeting screen. Balance of the mechs attributes (armor, speed, weapons, heat dissapation abilities), are great. You can't make a "superman" mech that is almost indestructible and can destroy everything on the battlefield with impunity...you can have the most powerful weapons, but you have to sacrifice armor, speed and heatsinks...it is a thinking game...you have to actually determine what your next mission is (long-distance barrage, down-and-dirty infighting, etc) and then outfit your mech and the mechs of your lancemates to help them get through the missions with as little damage as possible...because in the expansion, if you lose a weapon in battle, it is GONE for good. Same with mechs, your lancemate punches out, that mech is gone...and if you have no other mechs to put him in the next mission, you go with one less lancemate...I haven't tried online MW4 yet...Wang told me about it...will have to try it next...

ARCANUM:
    Just started this one...different though...sorta like D&D meets the Industrial Revolution...You have the various races, (elfs, orcs, ogres, dorfs, halflings, human, etc), with their typical associtated magical abilities, but you also have the technology level of around the late 1800's to early 1900's...I haven't got very far in this one yet (since I died last night, I have to start over again--guess that will teach me to start saving more often)...graphics at times are not the greatest (on level with Diablo in the overhead-lookdown view)...but so far it seems to be a very cool game...I'll have to see...

well, I've typed a long enough novel....

Type at you later

McGyver
  • edited December 1969
    [b]A note or two[/b]

[quote]
    Hailz all!

Recently, I've been playing a few games that I couldn't play
    before with my slower vid card and MB...My opinions on them are
    as follows, please take with a grain of salt and such...

Rune:
    It might be just me, but it seems that the solo game consists
    almost entirely of killing dorfs, dead dudes, and bad guys while
    trying to get out of hell and seek revenge on the dude that
    killed you and our dad in the first place...

The graphics were not bad at all, but I did notice alot of
    clipping on some of the large areas...it might be that my vid
    card wasn't set right, I don't know...but it makes it a pain in
    the ass to be walking along a grate floor, with water up to your
    chest(when it is suppose to be BELOW) the grate, and getting
    attacked by crabs and little lizard dudes that you can't see
    because the water is in the way...I finally got so pissed off at
    the game I went online and got the cheat codes and God-Moded the
    rest of the game.

Also, the game is VERY dark...Now again, it could be my
    settings, but I shouldn't have to turn my gamma setting up from
    6 to 55+ to be able to see in the darker rooms...after 35 or 40
    levels of walk, kill, jump, walk, kill, jump, etc....I finally
    get to the end...(okay, okay, I skipped over about 15 levels to
    get to the last 5 to see if the game actually did have an end),
    kill the guy and his henchmen that killed me and dad in the
    beginning of the game, and then walk through a Rune stone and
    walk across a Rainbow Bridge to Valhalla...The ending could have
    been better...but, since I can't code, I guess I can't talk...

[/quote]
    Rune is fun, but the multi is essentially LAN only. I DL'd the demo, but didn't see enough to make me buy it.

[quote]
    MW4:
    Very Good Game...both the original and the expansion...I steeper
    learning curve than some games..and you DEFINATELY need a 3D
    joystick (one that twists to allow mech torso twist while still
    walking, etc)...without, it would probably be almost impossible.

The graphics are top notch...one of the only games that I have
    played where when you blow up a part on the target (arm, missile
    pod, etc.), you actually see it blow up on the target and on
    your targeting screen. Balance of the mechs attributes (armor,
    speed, weapons, heat dissapation abilities), are great. You
    can't make a "superman" mech that is almost
    indestructible and can destroy everything on the battlefield
    with impunity...you can have the most powerful weapons, but you
    have to sacrifice armor, speed and heatsinks...it is a thinking
    game...you have to actually determine what your next mission is
    (long-distance barrage, down-and-dirty infighting, etc) and then
    outfit your mech and the mechs of your lancemates to help them
    get through the missions with as little damage as
    possible...because in the expansion, if you lose a weapon in
    battle, it is GONE for good. Same with mechs, your lancemate
    punches out, that mech is gone...and if you have no other mechs
    to put him in the next mission, you go with one less
    lancemate...I haven't tried online MW4 yet...Wang told me about
    it...will have to try it next...

[/quote]
    Superb game, fun every time I play it, and new content is still being added with two Mechpaks and patch coming in the next few months. Drop by the page of the MW4 group Wang and I are a part of at:

http://www.talonsplace.com/BlackTalons.htm

I actually played this with only a mouse and keyboard for the longest time, but finally got a J'stick in January. It makes a huge difference in the feel of the game. Any time you want to give multi a shot just give me a yell Mc.

[quote]
    ARCANUM:
    Just started this one...different though...sorta like D&D meets
    the Industrial Revolution...You have the various races, (elfs,
    orcs, ogres, dorfs, halflings, human, etc), with their typical
    associtated magical abilities, but you also have the technology
    level of around the late 1800's to early 1900's...I haven't got
    very far in this one yet (since I died last night, I have to
    start over again--guess that will teach me to start saving more
    often)...graphics at times are not the greatest (on level with
    Diablo in the overhead-lookdown view)...but so far it seems to
    be a very cool game...I'll have to see...

[/quote]
    Haven't played Arcanum, but I got the Dungeon Siege demo today. The game actually runs very well on my box, so I'm debating whether or not to pick it up. Fun in a very Diablo II way, with better combat and graphics and (So I hear) easier user made expandability. Gotta talk the wife into letting me grab it so I can maybe finally kick my DII habit. ;-)

[quote]
    well, I've typed a long enough novel....

Type at you later

McGyver

[/quote]
    Ramses II