E3

edited May 2002 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I was planning on writing a review of every game I played at E3, but I have realized that I played nearly 100 games and this would take a really long time. I'd rather just comment on games you guys give a crap about.

If there was any game at E3 (any platform) that you want my impressions about, just reply with the game(s) title. Chances are highly likely that I played and beat its E3 demo. :-)

I also had the opportunity to see Sony and Nintendo's press conferences on Monday. Here is the message I posted on various other forums on Monday night, but forgot to post here:

---

Hey guys,

As some of you know, I attended Sony and Nintendo's E3 press conferences this morning. I consider this 'Day 1/2' since it was just the press conferences. :-) Here's how it went:

I woke up at 2 AM and couldn't go back to sleep. I passed time until 5 AM and then my friend came and picked me up. We headed to Los Angeles and got to the place (I forget what it's called... Sound something) around 7 AM. I believe Sony was scheduled to begin at 8:30, so we were quite early. The gates opened at 8:00 and we were welcomed with Krispy Kreme donuts, bagels, juice, soda, cappucinos, salmon, etc. Soon enough, they opened up the conference area and we headed inside. My friend and I sat in the second row and were literally feet from the stage. On each and every seat was a metal PlayStation 2 notebook and a PS2 pen. The pen is pretty awesome. It has the PS2 logo on it and has a button that when pressed starts making the pen flash blue. Then pen also came with three backup batteries. :-)

The conference started a bit after 8:30. Sony basically boasted how great their sales were and how they were clearly the best game provider out there. I didn't really like their approach because it was mainly about business and gloating, not games. In any case, they showcaed a decent looking platform game called Ratchet & Clank. Then they had a long presentation about The Getaway. The game will probably be pretty cool and has a huge city. I was impressed with the way people reacted depending on where on their body they were shot. You have to see it to understand.

They then showed SOCOM: Navy Seals and its online capabilities. Seems like a decent game, but eh... this kind of thing has been done before.'

Then the Electronics Arts CEO came out and began promoting Madden 2003 and its online play. John Madden was put on the big screen and he did a play by play as two pro football players competed online before our very eyes. Madden was really damn funny and this was by far the best part of Sony's presentation.

We wanted to see Nintendo's conference, so we left early. As we were walking out, Sony began showing Resident Evil Online. I thought the RE series was exclusive to Nintendo, but apparently it's not. This game didn't look too great. We left and each got press kits on the way out. The press kit is a PlayStation 2 backpack and has a really nice blue binder inside with lots of press releases inside. It also has a media CD-ROM, which was burned as 'PlatStation2'. Sony is so retarded.

We went to this hotel a couple miles from Sony's conference location. This is where Nintendo was going to be doing their show. The hotel was unbelievably nice. It's definitely a multihundred dollar per night room. Inside were fountains and a beautifully decorated ceiling. Of course, there was lots of free food like Sony had.

We finally got into the theater where Nintendo was presenting. Nintendo's approach was more humble than Sony's. Sony had many huge plasma televisions and flashy designs while Nintendo simply had a huge Nintendo logo and a few large televisions for showing games.

Nintendo showed some cool stuff. They announced Resident Evil 0, showed Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Zelda, and a new GBA version of Zelda which seems to play like a party game. You compete to get the most rupees in the GBA game. Shigeru Miyamoto and some other gaming dudes played this game in four player mode for a while.

Metroid Prime looked pretty dang cool. It's got the same elements of the classic Metroid games and it's made a smooth transition to the 3D world.

The new Mario game didn't impress me much. It looked exactly like Mario 64 with some new twists. I'm disappointed that I wasn't blown away, but Nintendo always makes good games so I'm sure this will be a great one.

Didn't care for the new StarFox game. I loved the flying aspect of the previous games and this just looked like another average game.

F-Zero looks pretty awesome. Not much was shown or discussed about it, but the detail of the game is really nice and it's got the speed of the original.

By far, the game of the show was the GameCube's new Zelda game. I thought that 'Celda' was going to blow, but it looked really amazing. Miyamoto was demonstrating the game and it came to a part where he killed an enemy who was supposed to drop a big sword. Link is supposed to pick it up and break through a wooden area, but the game isn't done and understandably has some problems, so the sword didn't drop. Miyamoto was looking around for it, picking up pots and saying, "Is this it?" It was really funny. :)

The GameBoy Advance looks like it's going to continue to grow into a great platform. They showed the SNES version of Zelda being remade for it as well as some other great games (I just can't remember which they were right now). Oh yeah, a new Metroid game for the GBA was shown, too.

Nintendo was boasting how great the 'Connectivity' plan is. This allows you to hook up your GBA to your GameCube for new features. It looks totally useless to me. It literally is the stupidest shit ever. I'm not saying there isn't potential, but Nintendo hasn't found a single good use for it yet.

Nintendo, Sega, and Namco form the so-called 'Triforce' development team. They plan on making games together (this includes arcade games).

Nintendo doesn't seem to care about online play much. They say they will support third parties who want to add online capabilities to their games, but it doesn't sound like they have any ambition to take Metroid or any of their own games online.

Nintendo ended it with a Q&A session. They didn't really answer some of the questions, but that's typical with these kinds of things. We left and got our press kits when it finally ended. This was yet another backpack item that was branded with Nintendo and GameCube logos. Inside is a Nintendo notebook with some press release information as well as a media disc.

I guess this is it for now. I look forward to actually PLAYING some games tomorrow!

- Matt

rampancy.net
    acrappa.jpg
  • edited December 1969
    Zelda, pah!

Maybe you just have to see it in person, but man ... all the news clips I've seen of Zelda in action make me LESS inclined to want it than before I knew what a cel-shaded Link would look like.

Maybe it's just that the idea of roleplaying a little kiddie (or I guess a character that looks like one) doesn't interest me in the least. At least on N64, the younger Link didn't look like something I'd see on Nickelodeon.

I must admit, though, you have me curious about Metroid now.

But man, from your spewage over on team xbox, you're starting to sound like a bona-fide gamecube fanboi (and on Xbox turf no less!). You risk-taker, you...

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Re: Zelda, pah!
    Maybe you just have to see it in person, but man ... all the
    news clips I've seen of Zelda in action make me LESS inclined to
    want it than before I knew what a cel-shaded Link would look
    like.
    I was the same way before I played the game. Whether or not you would change your mind after playing it, I don't know, but I did.
    Maybe it's just that the idea of roleplaying a little kiddie (or
    I guess a character that looks like one) doesn't interest me in
    the least. At least on N64, the younger Link didn't look like
    something I'd see on Nickelodeon.
    The game is very cartoonish. If that can keep you from enjoying the classic Zelda gameplay, then you should probably avoid it.
    METROID RULZ TEH WERLD!
    But man, from your spewage over on team xbox, you're starting to
    sound like a bona-fide gamecube fanboi (and on Xbox turf no
    less!). You risk-taker, you...
    Hehe, well before E3 I thought GameCube was a total waste of money (minus Resident Evil). Now that I've played the new games, I have to get one. The fact that I'm boasting how great the GameCube is going to be is not because I'm a fanboy, it's because that is what I really believe. The GameCube is simply good for Nintendo games. Investing in a GameCube for anything other than Nintendo franchises or Resident Evil is simply ridiculous.

- Matt

rampancy.net
    acrappa.jpg
  • edited December 1969
    gamecube...
    I was the same way before I played the game. Whether or not you
    would change your mind after playing it, I don't know, but I
    did.

The game is very cartoonish. If that can keep you from enjoying
    the classic Zelda gameplay, then you should probably avoid it.

METROID RULZ TEH WERLD!

Hehe, well before E3 I thought GameCube was a total waste of
    money (minus Resident Evil). Now that I've played the new games,
    I have to get one. The fact that I'm boasting how great the
    GameCube is going to be is not because I'm a fanboy, it's
    because that is what I really believe. The GameCube is simply
    good for Nintendo games. Investing in a GameCube for anything
    other than Nintendo franchises or Resident Evil is simply
    ridiculous.

- Matt
    I liked what I saw there at E3 as well, and with the price drop, I think I'll be getting a Gamecube before I get a PS2.

Matt, did you check out those cool wireless controllers? They were being demoed in the hallway between the two convention areas. Very very sweet. Same controller could function across different platforms. Kinda weird playing Halo with a PS2-like controller, but it was just a demo. I could imagine if I had a multi-console setup and the price wasn't *too* steep that I'd pick up a set of those.

• edited December 1969
    Re: gamecube...
    I liked what I saw there at E3 as well, and with the price drop,
    I think I'll be getting a Gamecube before I get a PS2.
    I really see no compelling reason to buy a PS2, but that's just me.
    Matt, did you check out those cool wireless controllers? They
    were being demoed in the hallway between the two convention
    areas. Very very sweet. Same controller could function across
    different platforms. Kinda weird playing Halo with a PS2-like
    controller, but it was just a demo. I could imagine if I had a
    multi-console setup and the price wasn't *too* steep that I'd
    pick up a set of those.
    Yeah, I saw those. I didn't know they functioned across different platforms though. How much will those cost?

My friend won one of Nintendo's WaveBird controllers, which is Nintendo's official wireless controller that gets released in June. Pretty neat that he owns one before it's available in stores.

- Matt

rampancy.net
    acrappa.jpg
  • edited December 1969
    Re: gamecube...
    Yeah, I saw those. I didn't know they functioned across
    different platforms though. How much will those cost?
    I haven't a clue, and the company that was showing it off just makes the chipset, they sell it to the companies that will actually make the controllers/receivers... the guy I spoke with figured that it would be 'competetively priced' but who knows what that means?

Logitech also had a wireless controller, but platform specific. I tried the PS2 one and it was good, had a nice weight to it. Me and the other player walked a good 20 feet away from the Console and no problems (except for us squinting to see the small TV screen :)
  • edited December 1969
    cross-platform controllers

Saw a device at software etc. last week that lets you conect PS2 controllers to xbox so ...

I reckon anything could conceivably work with anything else.

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Re: Zelda, pah!
    Maybe you just have to see it in person, but man ... all the
    news clips I've seen of Zelda in action make me LESS inclined to
    want it than before I knew what a cel-shaded Link would look
    like.

Maybe it's just that the idea of roleplaying a little kiddie (or
    I guess a character that looks like one) doesn't interest me in
    the least. At least on N64, the younger Link didn't look like
    something I'd see on Nickelodeon.

But man, from your spewage over on team xbox, you're starting to
    sound like a bona-fide gamecube fanboi (and on Xbox turf no
    less!). You risk-taker, you...

_/ C
    your CRAZY!!!!! That games the best! I'm not 2 happy about the graphics either but as long as its a good game, I'm buyin it! The Legend of Zelda is 1 of the most succesful games, I bet u couldn't make a game that good if u tryed! Hahahahahahahaaa... thats sooo funny, u think Metroid Prime is a better game?!? Well, I do like Metroid games but they don't compare with with the ausome power of Zelda games. SEEYA, weirdo...