[Cunbelin] Time Machine Review

edited March 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Today I saw the Time Machine, it was Ok, mostly the Art design was cool, I can't really remember the plot, sumthin about not being able to change the past, and then going to the future and saving Samanth Mumba. Yeah and Orlando Jones was in there, you know I think he was the best characor, though Jeremy Irons was good, as the 'Uber-Morlock'.

I'm being somewhat unfair to the plot, but the development of the plot felt extremely rushed and allowed for almost zero charactor development, and though I never had to stop and try and figure out what was going on, it was only because they never explored any deeper than the events. The stop and think aspect of the first movie is totally lost with this iteration, though I think there was an attempt to save some of it through the Jeremy Irons charactor, sadly it failed.

Anyway no it isn't a must see film, but if you can't stand seing The Fellowship of the Ring yet AGAIN it makes for a nice break.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Time Machine Review

Isn't the plot the same from the classic work of literature - "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells? ...featuring the Elois and Morlocks and the process of natural selection.
    Is it a spin on the original? A sequel?
    VJ
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Time Machine Review Spoilers
    Isn't the plot the same from the classic work of literature -
    "The Time Machine" by H.G. Wells? ...featuring the
    Elois and Morlocks and the process of natural selection.
    Is it a spin on the original? A sequel?
    VJ
    Effectively, but alot of the flavor is gone, and the motivating factor for the main charactor is that his girlfriend is killed, he first builds the machine to go back and change that, he attempts to do so and she dies in a different manner. He decides then to go to the future (I assume to find scientists who are well versed in time travel) By accident he is sent to the far far future where the Elois and Morlocks are, of course there are two short side trips eating up time that could have been used to expand the story. The Eloi aren't this conditioned group that are totally reliant on the Morlocks, instead they are a self sufficient people, who accept the morlocks apparently because the 'Uber-Morlock' has Phsycic abilities. On the other hand the morlocks seem to be effectively hive minded animals controlled by the 'Uber-Morlock'. The claim is that the morlocks were a sundered group who hid underground and became unable to adapt to the outside world, and so rather than force themselves to evolve into something that would be able to survive on the outside, they create a caste system where the only creatures that resemble humans are the 'Uber Morlocks'. My assumption on the orignal was that the Morlocks were all fairly intelligent and that at some point they contained compassion for human kind, in this film you have a heartless villian you controls creatures who bear no resemblence to humans and show no intelligence. In the end Jeremy Irons is killed, and Guy Pierce kills all the morlocks by blowing up his time machine.

Anyway I'll probably keep my eye out for it on a cable channel, but I doubt I'd rent it having seen it already, perhaps a second veiwing will clarify more plot points in my head.