[Croaker] Wow! Tribes2 is pretty damn impressive.

edited August 2001 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I didn't really like the first game so I didn't even think about getting the sequel. It came up in a conversation with a friend at work. I mentioned I was in an online gaming order with over 80 members and he immediately assumed we played Tribes 2.

'Why would you assume that?' I asked.
    'Cause you can play online in teams of over 60 people.' he answered like I just got off the boat.

So, after reading nothing but good reviews about the game, I went out and got it. And the built in gaming features are impressive.

You get 2 desktop icons, one for LAN and solo training levels. There are about 5 training levels that walk you through the skills you'll need for online play. Or you can practice the different games/maps with and against smart bots (I usually play with around 15).

The other desktop icon is for online play. And it has a lot of features.
    Your login name and alias are unique to you. You can't take a name already being used unless that person deletes that character, freeing up the name.
    The game starts up in a browser like thing where you get email, forums, chat, buddy lists, tribe and player search, news, auto updates, game filters. (I looked up Waluin and bing, there he was. He wasn't online though so couldn't hook up.)

And the game itself has the coolest features. There's built in voice chat where you have a list of preset things you can say or you can send real voice chat via microphone so communicating during game play is easy and extensive. You have defenses you can set up that can be taken out by the enemy, different player load outs that can be changed in game to carry out whatever task is needed, ground and air vehicles that you pilot with the help of team mates as bombers or gunners, a command center pop up that lets the designated captain give out orders and tasks to his team where those tasks and orders can be accepted so you know someone's on it, in game voting for game variations, booting etc...

The learning curve is kinda steep. When I first started playing I regretted buying the game because the movement seemed too fast and the players too small with way too many keyboard commands to keep track of but once you get used to it, it makes sense. The maps are huge so the people seem very small due to the distances involved. Once you get your mouse sensitivity to your liking and get those keyboard presets just where you want, it's a great game.

Being on a team of 32 players all working to capture a flag while trying to keep another 32 players from taking ours is a lot of fun. Being on a team that actually knew how to play together would be unbelievable.

As for lag and frame rates, I've had no bad experiences so far. I expected a game of over 60 players with voice chat and music to be a slide show but there was no lag at all. The game moved smooth and fast, and the solo Training levels take longer to load than the online games.

I know Waluin plays. Does anyone else? I'm a total newbie right now, but I'd like to try to get a team together. My login is Croaker #CP# and my alias is just plain Croaker.
  • edited December 1969
    OK.. Fark You. :)

If you find T2 so much fun... then I don't expect to see you get "good" at MW4..... Both games are quite addictive, and my mates have had to choose one or the other...

Those that chose T2... are off in their world.
    Those that chose MW4 are off in another.

We were holding a spot open for you in Apoc... but now I see why you have not shown up. :)

Enjoy!

N8

^A^ Apoc Home Page
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Wow! Tribes2 is pretty damn impressive.

I used to play quite a bit of T2, but when I started my latest Q3CTF map I went back to Q3CTF exclusively. I really tunnel-focus on the game when I'm mapping. I'll probably get back into T2 again later now that I'm pretty much done with that map... only thing is I've got a bucketload of work just dumped on me so I'm not sure when that will be.

I do really like the game. Its strengths and weaknesses are pretty tied together tho. On the one hand it's got a lot to learn and a lot of ways in which you can improve your game... but that also means that if you are away from the game for a while it's a bit daunting to consider getting back into it. It requires a certain degree of teamplay for success, which keeps away the worst variety of asshole gamers and makes it really cool when you get on a team that clicks together... but on the other hand it attracts a new variety of asshole gamers (those that continually insult their own team for not doing exactly what they think the team should be doing) and if you're on a team that doesn't "click" it can be amazingly frustrating.

Definitely one of the best shooters out there right now, especially after it's finally been patched into shape. I'm sure that it will eventually suck me back in sooner or later. :-)

• edited December 1969
    Mechwarrior's still cool too.

I realy like Mechwarrior4 (I was a Battletech addict so being able to actually pilot those big machines is great for me) but it's online community is lacking. There's no chat so no real way to set up games or challenges.
    Most of the online games are a bunch of guys in the biggest mech w/the biggest guns timidly plinking at each other from a mile away to get points for their rank. Unless you're already on a team in a challenge against another team there's very little team play to be had online.

I have met some friendly pilots though. A couple of them are so good I swear they're cheating somehow. I play every day but have never seen any of you guys online. A clan called DR is pretty prevelent though. They host big, somewhat friendly No Heat/Unlimited Ammo team attrition games. They're fun to practice piloting in.

The 2 games are soooo different though that one will probably not take me away from the other (Diablo has been kinda shelved though).

And don't worry, I'll get really good and lure you guys out of Apoc to form Clan Plaid Mechanized.

Tribes 2 really surprised me. It's not just a shooter like I thought it was. They really did a great job providing a community for online players. I mean they even provide you with your own Tribes2 community email. Being in a huge game with built in voice chat and no lag where you're not just running around counting frags but you either work as a team or lose just blows me away.

-Croaker #CP#V-
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Team challenges with voice chat is what we do![/b]

We have a Team Destuction match tonite.

We are fighting for the #5 spot on the TD Ladder at:

http://www.teamwarfare.com/viewladder.asp?Ladder=MW4+TD

Two nites ago, we took over the #1 spot on the Team Attrition ladder!

See: http://www.teamwarfare.com/viewladder.asp?Ladder=MW4+TA

Why do you think we sent you to get Bcom? :)

Join my Bcom server tonite.. You can hear the match.

N8

ps..you have to manually add the last few chars to those links...

[url=http://apocalypse.fws1.com/main.html]^A^ Apoc Home Page[/url]
  • edited December 1969
    I bought Tribes 2 today myself

Funny you should mention this game. After playing the demo and realized that Tribes 2 has a lot more depth than UT, I went out and bought it today. I'm still tooling around on the demo.

I'd play with you, but I'm awaiting word from Sierra's support team regarding the retail version. I'm getting the "This CD Key was already used to create an account" error on a brand new game, and all the online knowledge base could tell me is that if I don't remember my username to mail the account support team. Someone prolly found a way to steal the key.

I'd be angry, but considering I played Anarchy Online for a few weeks, this is nothing.

After I get this stuff out of the way though I'll look you up for a few games. :)

Grimmy
  • edited December 1969
    PS...

No wonder we don't run into each other..

No mech pilot worth his salt would be caught dead playing on a "No Heat-Unlimited Ammo" Server... Puleeeeeze! :)

N8
  • edited December 1969
    Aye, you would be heartily welcome to come and join us, Croaker

I play MW4 pretty regularly, I must say I am surprised it still keeps my attention after all these months (It came out Dec. last year), but it truly does. Fun gameplay, fast action - like myth offers, and pretty graphics are part of what keep me interested. But the real key to this game that has me coming back again and again is how well it works with voice chat. Having chat adds another world to the game, I couldn't enjoy it half as much without it.

Our group has about 8 or so dedicated players with 4 of them from clan plaid, which adds some familair voices. We have a few people play every once in awhile in team matches and scrimmages, just depending on how much time they want to give to the game. Usually we have a match a week, sometimes two.

And if you want to learn from the best on how to get better, look no farther than Cinnibar-it sometimes seems that man was born in a mech.

Would be god to see you online :)

-Wang
  • edited December 1969
    Griminy?

Someone named Griminy emailed me in Tribes2 requesting to join CP (yes I grabbed Clan Plaid and the #CP# tag in tribes2, figured someone should). Is that you?
  • edited December 1969
    How do I find you?

I need an address/pass and what time you'll be there.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Griminy?
    Someone named Griminy emailed me in Tribes2 requesting to join
    CP (yes I grabbed Clan Plaid and the #CP# tag in tribes2,
    figured someone should). Is that you?
    no, that's Grimmy aka Grimmbot, he's already a memeber (:

Conner

• edited December 1969
    Haha. Yes, I'm "Grimini"...
    Someone named Griminy emailed me in Tribes2 requesting to join
    CP (yes I grabbed Clan Plaid and the #CP# tag in tribes2,
    figured someone should). Is that you?
    Yeah, some bastage took "Grimmy" already, so I devised a name that's close enough.

Erhm... I also sent you an in-game mail, but ignore the problem I mentioned -- somewhere my n00b mind missed that the only way to change armor types is when setting up the inventory presets in-game.

Just getting the hang of the scout fliers, but don't ask me to pilot an assault tank. ;)

Grimmy
  • edited December 1969

Hails.

I'd love to tell you that there are a bunch of geezers playing this game as well, but if that's the case, I haven't seen them in a loooong time. I still hop on occasionally, but as Johnny points out, it can be very frustrating playing with a bunch of wankers, particularly if you're playing against a coordinated team.

Still, definitely a fun game, and a hell of a lot more depth than UT.

One of the best features, IMO, is the built in IRC channels. Whenever I load the game, I start a channel titled [HAG] (with the brackets). I leave it up while I'm playing, and check it periodically. In theory, any geezer who plays will look for that IRC server, and leave a message before playing (if the other participants are already in a game). The best part is that when you join a server, the game automatically leaves a link to that server.

So, I'd recommend opening up an IRC channel whenever you play, and just leaving it up. If you name it #CP#, I'll try to find you. You are, of course, welcome to look for me or any other geezer. We've got a tribe called Heavily Armed Geezers [HAG].

I'm not the best player in the world, but I generally hold my own in firefights, and I usually end up near the top on points. Mainly because I tend to play defense/repair roles... ;)

Woo.
  • edited December 1969

When I first went to multiplayer I got all excited 'cause the first game I saw was hosted by a group called GeeZers. I didn't recognize any names though. They're usually hosting Seige games. Is there any relation to the geezers we all know and love?
  • edited December 1969
    When I first went to multiplayer I got all excited 'cause the
    first game I saw was hosted by a group called GeeZers. I didn't
    recognize any names though. They're usually hosting Seige games.
    Is there any relation to the geezers we all know and love?
    Not that I'm aware. I think all the geezers who play(ed) Tribes 2 are hooked up with [HAG]. That includes a few folks who aren't in GfH, such as Khaavren of fs.

Woo.