Giants: Citizen Kabuto...?

edited October 2001 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I have seen no reviews for this game, so I'm wondering if anybody has it (PC version -- the Mac version just shipped) and if so, what they think of it.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Giants: Citizen Kabuto...?

Ratbert has it....i believe he likes it alot :) I saw it at WCGIV..looks pretty neat.

Spit

ispiton.jpg
  • edited December 1969

Visually it's superb.

It's divided into 3 episodes, with different gameplay in each. The first episode is kinda reminiscent of Tribes -- a lot of jetpack and sniper fun, big gorgeous outdoor areas. I got to the last episode of the first part and they started adding in RTS elements... you had a base that your main character could build at a certain location, which the bad guys would attack.

TBH this is where I stopped playing, not out of any intentional "I'm quitting this game!" impulse, but I've just never loaded up that savegame again. Continually flying back and forth to fight the bad guys, gather resources, and build my base got on my nerves, and I could never get the allied characters to properly defend any of the actual structures in the base.

I think they have a demo out now that displays all 3 gameplay types, so you might want to check that out. Mmm, at least they do for the PC version, dunno about Mac. Anyway It's entirely possible that I would have greatly enjoyed the rest of the game if I had persisted through that one spot.

A couple of other things that probably contributed to my lack of motivation:

- It has MP support but no MP community, and apparently the MP game is quite innovative and weird but has some technical problems (again talking about the PC version).

- The humor in the game was both constant, and a little too wacky or juvenile for what I was in the mood for. I think this game would have been cool with a slightly more dramatic take -- actually humor always works better with drama as a foundation (cf. Bungie games) -- and not an approach that was always reminding me "hey! you're playing our wacky videogame! aren't we silly guys?" But maybe that's just me. :-)

• edited December 1969
    I have seen no reviews for this game, so I'm wondering if
    anybody has it (PC version -- the Mac version just shipped) and
    if so, what they think of it.
    I remember reading a nice, long review of it at FiringSquad.com; it was several months ago but you still might find it in the archives. The reviewer really slammed portions of the game, but those may have been bugs that were subsequently patched.

The general consensus, as I recall, was it was a very promising game that didn't quite make it. I'm not sure I'd buy it without seeing a demo first.

Zag
  • edited December 1969
    About that demo

I tried it once upon a merry time and never got it to run at all. Not even to launch correctly. I don't know if they've updated the demo since or not, but I pretty much lost all interest after that.

Ramses II