TeamSpeak/Ventrilo questions...

edited August 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    This is aiming to you PC/Linux gamers who have actually had a chance to use these tools.

I'm a Mac user (yeah yeah, I've heard all the cracks) who is getting encouraged and discouraged about the news that both of these apps are considering working on Macintosh (Mac OS X) versions so that Mac players can finally communicate with their team.

In the discouraged phase right now and really want to try and figure what level of effort would be required to roll up a do it myself version of this sort of tool. Unlike the teams that do these tools at present, I typically program on Macintosh, Windows and *nix every week, so it's not really all that much of a pipe dream.

If I get inspired to do this, it would be open source (perhaps in the 'Linux-Wildo' project) where the first goal would be to do some design documents so that people could actually contribute (the current lack in Linux-Wildo as far as I can tell).

What I need from someone is some baselines on what the current apps do...

1. Are these apps half or full duplex ? In other words, can you talk at the same time that someone else is and have them hear you in real time ? Think old bad speakerphones versus current versions.

2. Does the audio you get come out mixed or does it remain discrete ? If one person yells 'Duck' and another yells 'Behind you' at basically the same time, do you :

a. Hear them both at the same time (perhaps separated by channel on your speakers).

b. Hear 'Duck','Behind you' as separate clips of sound.

c, Hear 'Duck', 'nd you'

3. Is there are single codec that you strongly prefer for the tradeoff of sound quality and bandwidth requirements ? If so, why ?

4. When you speak, does your speech come back to you ? Hope not, this would be some wierd echo messes.

5. Is there a 'send' key ? If so, is it mandatory or optional ?

Thanks for reading this and thanks even more for any replies.

• edited December 1969
    Re: TeamSpeak/Ventrilo questions...

I have no idea!

Just didn't want you to think you were being ignored. :-)

If you are still pondering these questions when WCG rolls around, and you need a couple of Windows users to test something out, I'll pitch in.

• edited December 1969
    this reminds me...

Thanks to JL's post, I remember now to throw a little something into this thread. :)

A friend of mine has been in discussion with the guy behind Ventrilo. Ventrilo has been very close to releasing a mac client, but resources/time/etc. has gotten in the way. You are exactly the kind of person that could help get that project over the hump. I'd suggest emailing the programmer and offering your services. Apparently the guy has been a little pissed at the kind of reaction he has gotten from past users when he mentioned that he wanted to charge $20 shareware fee, which is a pittance really (Netfone is $25), in order to afford a mac and try to get the client done. Anyway, if you lurk on his forum you'll see the posts left by folks that are chomping at the bit to get their hands on an OSX version of the client.

The Teamspeak folks, on the other hand, according to my friend, are the opposite... they actually were donated 2 macs from Apple, but have pissed it all away. They are no where near to doing anything for the mac side.

If by some miracle you are able to help make the OSX client a reality for Ventrilo, you will be one helluva hero for a lot of folks!

- M
  • edited December 1969
    Trouble is...

...that the tone that the Ventrilo author projects on his posts is basically one that has blown off anyone who suggests that they might help.

He's holding the code very close to his chest and has made it very clear that nobody else is getting a look at it.

I understand this atitude by authors of code, but don't view it as likely that such an author is going to put anything in the hands of someone he knows only from e-mail.

• edited December 1969

What I would need now is design parameters, not testers (need to write code before you can consider testing).

Thanks for the volunteering, if I do anything I suspect the Beta testers would be interested CP and associates

• edited December 1969
    What I would need now is design parameters, not testers (need to
    write code before you can consider testing).
    Ventrilo experiments, to answer your questions.

• edited December 1969
    Okay, put my foot forward...

he was complaining in a thread that he was having troubles getting through the GUI stuff, so I posted that if he gives me design specs, I'll turn him out working dialogs/windows that he can use as he sees fit, no holds barred.

We will see if he takes me up on it.

Most singleton programmers have a pride things that really prevent this and we just have to see if this is the case here. I can understand that, I really would rather do it myself most of the time anyway.

• edited December 1969
    Cool
    he was complaining in a thread that he was having troubles
    getting through the GUI stuff, so I posted that if he gives me
    design specs, I'll turn him out working dialogs/windows that he
    can use as he sees fit, no holds barred.

We will see if he takes me up on it.

Most singleton programmers have a pride things that really
    prevent this and we just have to see if this is the case here. I
    can understand that, I really would rather do it myself most of
    the time anyway.
    What more can anyone really ask for? I also note his kind of 'leave me alone' approach, and yah, it doesn't make for a very inviting situation, but hell, why not give it a shot?

Thanks much SJ!

- M
  • edited December 1969
    If I get inspired to do this, it would be open source (perhaps
    in the 'Linux-Wildo' project) where the first goal would be to
    do some design documents so that people could actually
    contribute (the current lack in Linux-Wildo as far as I can
    tell).
    Hallo, I'm the linux-wildo mantainer and was passing by here after a brief search on google.
    We are happy to take any contributor to the project, but you know, many offer to do something and most of the time they don't. They say I do this and this and after some days they disappear in notthing. This is one of the causes of the lack of separate docs, actualy if you look at the source most of it is commented with the procedure the code is following, expecialy the missing part (that as for now is the rtp part, then we will be ready for alpha relase to testing).
    I'm willing to make a separate design document, but since now I have really few time I'm spending it on code rather that on docs. Moreover a design doc is a easy thing, anyone REALLY willing to make one can simply look at the code and copy and paste comments, then write them in a "long form" and you have the design.
    So if you really interested in making docs I have no problem to include them after someone makes them, but if I have to do one, you all will have to wait after alpha relase, when I will have more time.
    Everyone that want to come in contact with us can find us at
    irc.freenode.net #linux-wildo

Best Regards
    Gabriele Dini Ciacci
  • edited December 1969

First and foremost, thanks for responding.

I did download the most recent code several months ago (the March tarball) and at that time, reading the comments it was not even readily apparent that the design was a client/server system.

Looking at the current code and comments (some added as recently as 6 days ago) the intent is much more apparent, thank you. This gives me a much better thing to get my mind around. I'll get the most recent CVS update this evening and see if I can start drawing up some design documents to forward to you.

If you have any responses to my questions about timing and mixing, I would appreciate them. The issue of server side multiplexing, which you mention in the TODO is a fairly large potential server CPU load and I really wonder whether the available applications actually do this.

• edited December 1969
    This is exciting! *NM* [nt]

• edited December 1969

Be careful with Ventrilo as well because they've implemented some kind of hidden "big brother" system to it. When you start the server and each client, an 86-byte packet is sent out over port 5000 to server1.ventrilo.com. It has nothing to do with functionality because blocking that port still allows Ventrilo to work. So, they're doing some kind of snooping while hoping that you don't notice it.

Their designers have refused to explain the purpose for this "phone home" technique.
  • edited December 1969
    Be careful with Ventrilo as well because they've implemented
    some kind of hidden "big brother" system to it. When
    you start the server and each client, an 86-byte packet is sent
    out over port 5000 to server1.ventrilo.com. It has nothing to do
    with functionality because blocking that port still allows
    Ventrilo to work. So, they're doing some kind of snooping while
    hoping that you don't notice it.

Their designers have refused to explain the purpose for this
    "phone home" technique.
    I thought it was just one guy who was doing all the coding. Thanks for the info, regardless.

- M
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: TeamSpeak/Ventrilo questions...[/b]

[quote]
    I thought it was just one guy who was doing all the coding.
    Thanks for the info, regardless.

- M

[/quote]
    Quick check of the forum has this reply. It's just an update check.
  • edited December 1969

Teamspeak's software similiarly tries to "call home", but I believe to notify you that a new version is available.