Also on the demo front...

edited September 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I highly recommend the Homeworld 2 demo.

http://homeworld2.sierra.com/homeworld2.php

BTW, if you never played Homeworld, pick it up from a bargain bin somewhere! It's an outstanding game, with unique and fun gameplay, a great story, beautiful graphics that hold up even 4 years on, and an oustanding soundtrack. Hey, I could be describing Myth there!

[url=http://www.clanplaid.net/~carch/fun/]_/ C's Site o' Fun![/url]
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Played it, and got the game yesterday[/b]

[quote]
    I highly recommend the Homeworld 2 demo.

http://homeworld2.sierra.com/homeworld2.php BTW, if you never
    played Homeworld, pick it up from a bargain bin somewhere! It's
    an outstanding game, with unique and fun gameplay, a great
    story, beautiful graphics that hold up even 4 years on, and an
    oustanding soundtrack. Hey, I could be describing Myth there!

[/quote]
    You can get alot of mileage out of that demo, with the player vs CPU option, the actual single player part is only 2 levels deep, which are very bare.

I loved the original and semi-sequel, Cataclysm. I'm thrilled with this one as well. I've been playing it any chance I can since I brought it home last nite. Right now I'm getting my ass kicked on level 4, but I'm learning.

For a guy that doesn't really like resource games, both this and WCIII are the exceptions. HW is easy to excuse in my case: I'm a sucker for any kind of space soap opera. The music is great, the environment is fantastic, and the gameplay is tres sweet.

btw, I only like WCIII because I played it with a bunch of CP at BC's place a year or so ago. It was fun playing against the CPU and 3 or 4 of us were allies.

- M

p.s. if you do get the older HW games, make sure to grab the patch for it to work on XP/2000.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Also on the demo front...

Hmm, I picked up Homeworld 2 yesterday. Errmmm, I'm trying really hard to like this game, but... any pointers? Every time I start it up to play a bit more, it just irritates the hell out of me. Primarily, I'm having trouble getting any sort of situational awareness, so when it tells me "Transport 3 under attack" I find myself just throwing my hands up and thinking "oh well."

And typically, just when I've managed to find the ship I was looking for, the automated scripting kicks in and drags me halfway across the map to show me something new I should be worrying about.

Any tips?

-Cauldyth

• edited December 1969
    I forgot you bought a PC!

I've been hoping a Mac port for Homeworld shows up for some time now.

When I saw your post's title, Free, I thought one may have evaded my (very) occasional perusals of the Sierra site and various soon to be released™ Mac games pages. Not so -- curse my naive hopes. Back to waiting for Halo. ;)

-Cob
  • edited December 1969
    Homeworld 2 is tough! (no spoilers)

I think one of the keys is to not pay too much attention to fleet command. I've found they'll tell you to hurry up and do stuff which you might be better waiting to do.

Another thing I think I've been doing wrong is teching up too quickly. Better to approach fleet limits *then* tech up.

Another tip: bombers are your friend. Take out enemy production ASAP. Neuter carriers and leave them floating with no production facility and no engines, THEN concentrate on mopping up.

It took me a couple tries to rescue everyone on mission 2, and missions 3 and 4 handed me my ass several times. I'm still on 4. From a post from one of the devs on the relicnews forum, it appears that the difficulty is intentional. They intend for you to play through each level 2 or 3 times, apparently. Not sure if I'm entirely happy with that, but it's different ...

_/ C's Site o' Fun!
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Homeworld 2 Help[/b]

Here's a post from the relicnews forums with some really good general advice on playing:

http://tinyurl.com/oa4b

[url=http://fun.clanplaid.net]_/ C's Site o' Fun![/url]
  • edited December 1969
    level 9 is kickin' m' ass.

I just can't get a handle on level 9. I've gone back to a part of level 8 where things are slow and I can quietly build up my fleet. So I go into level 9 with 5 destroyers, pretty much max of everything else and I still get my ass handed to me. If I try again with 8 scouts and use EMP, that helps a bit, and the EMP blasts kick ass, but I gotta micro the fuck out of the whole thing. If I try minelayer vettes, that almost does it but not enough. If I go straight for the hidden shipyard way over in the corner, I can't get there in time. The relicnews forums are pretty good, folks have talked about what they need to do on that level. I guess I just need to try again and again.

Up until now I haven't used the pause button, hell, I didn't even know it existed, but now I think I have no choice but to use it.

Any words of wisdom, mr Shark?
  • edited December 1969
    Goo' luc' frea' [vl'

:)
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Hmmm... meanwhile: Badges![/b]

[quote]
    Any words of wisdom, mr Shark?

[/quote]
    You know I just finished that mission the other day, and I can't remember how I did it. I do remember it was pretty frantic. I'll have to go back and take a look.

Meanwhile, check out these cool badges! I *know* there's a couple in there that'll appeal to you, sir :)

http://fun.clanplaid.net/hw2badges/

Here's a sneak preview:

[url=http://fun.clanplaid.net]_/ C's Site o' Fun![/url]
    [img]http://fun.clanplaid.net/hw2badges/7th-strikers.jpg[/img]
  • edited December 1969
    [b]omg, that's great! (vlt)[/b]

[quote]
    You know I just finished that mission the other day, and I can't
    remember how I did it. I do remember it was pretty frantic. I'll
    have to go back and take a look.

Meanwhile, check out these cool badges! I *know* there's a
    couple in there that'll appeal to you, sir :)

http://fun.clanplaid.net/hw2badges/ Here's a sneak preview:

[/quote]
    Thanks for those! What a riot!
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Homeworld 2 Help [nt]

• edited December 1969
    [b]NEED HELP WITH HW2[/b]

ok i bought HW2 today and when i go to start the game i click on it or push play it starts with a black screen then quits out of it...i run all the min with the game...is there a patch i need? if anyone can help me at all i would really apprisiate it...email me at firefox99@gundamwing.net if you could help thanks... or post here
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Homeworld 2 Help

I am incountering a problem with the single player game, the video plays, but it freezes at the last screen. The music still plays, but the pc's crashed... If someone knows how to solve this, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
  • edited December 1969
    Re: level 9 is kickin' m' ass.

Move trhe mothership and shipyard together so they are easier to defend. get some bombers and movers to attack the hyperspace gates and carriers. Use gun and beam platforms too. I found this hard at first but managed to finish it eventually with few losses.
  • edited December 1969
    Move trhe mothership and shipyard together so they are easier to
    defend. get some bombers and movers to attack the hyperspace
    gates and carriers. Use gun and beam platforms too. I found this
    hard at first but managed to finish it eventually with few
    losses.
    I'll have to try that level again, thanks!
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: NEED HELP WITH HW2[/b]

I am also having the same problem ith Homeworld 2. I have loaded the game and when I start it I get a balck screen for 2 seconds and then go back to windows. An advice is appreciated and please send and e-mail to spowellii@aol.com if you can assist me.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: NEED HELP WITH HW2

You'll probably be able to find answers much more quickly on a homeworld-dedicated forum like the Homeworld 2 forum at relicnews.com.

Good luck!
  • edited December 1969
    Homeworld 2: HELP ON NEW MAPS

Help on MAPS i need help on getting new downloaded maps to work.
  • edited December 1969
    I'll have to try that level again, thanks!
    One other piece of advice... you mentioned you built up a huge fleet of destroyers, etc. and that it didn't help. I have read elsewhere, and it seems to make sense, that the larger a fleet you start the level with the more opponents there are. There's no particular benefit to building a huge fleet in advance, so you might as well not spend time on that.
  • edited December 1969
    Downloading new maps! help please?

I need some help on how to install custom maps and be able to play them. If you can help seen me an e-mail. These are not multi player maps comp vs me maps ThANKS!
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Homeworld2 Installation[/b]

I have recently purchased Homeworld 2, but when the installation screen comes up, it stops responding. If anyone out there has any information, please post it here or email me at DeWaltIndustrial@hotmail.com
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Homeworld 2 Help[/b]

hi there is a patch that fixs most of these problem at http://www.gamershell.com/download_init.shtml?hellID=4724&mirror=direct&a=19754103488488.6
  • edited December 1969
    Re: NEED HELP WITH HW2 level 4

I really like this game I got through levels 1,2,3 after a few attempts but level 4 come on!!! As soon as i get near there base they don't just kill my fleet they massacre it!!!!!!!!! Iv'e got quite a decent fleet and think I must be doing something wrong I must of had 80 goes at it please help.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: NEED HELP WITH HW2 level 4

I haven't gotten to that mission yet myself (I think), but I noticed that the recent patch is supposed to decrease the difficulty level of missions 4, 13, and 14. Have you tried applying the patch?

• edited December 1969
    HW2 mission 12 help?!?

i have completed mission 12.. (i would think).. the vagyr fleet is dispatched, the nme shipwayd destroyed and makaans flagship was been chase daway, but when i dock my marine frigate w/ the station, it only "disables" it, and doesnt rescure soban.. anyone have this problem?? i tried doing it in different orders (capturing station before destroying shipyard and makaans flagship) but all i get when i dock my mairne frigate is a disable message for the station... am i doing something wrong?!?
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Homeworld 2: HELP ON NEW MAPS
    Help on MAPS i need help on getting new downloaded maps to work.
    me too !

• edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Homeworld 2: HELP ON NEW MAPS[/b]

I got mine to work, first off you must save the file as a .level file if they arent in it already. If not, open your internet explorer, have it open that file and when it does have it save as and put any file for the other selection. Name the file *****.level, then create the specified directories that other sites tell you to do and it should work. My msn messenger is the same addres, computer_geek86@hotmail.com

• edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Homeworld2 Installation[/b]

[quote]
    I have recently purchased Homeworld 2, but when the installation
    screen comes up, it stops responding. If anyone out there has
    any information, please post it here or email me at
    DeWaltIndustrial@hotmail.com

[/quote]
    Hi,

I have the same problem...have you got an answer to this? If yes, please could you share it with me?
    Regards,
    Roman