[Croaker] What ever became of...

edited October 2003 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Shadowbane and Planet Side? Shadowbane's $20 bucks now and I haven't heard anything on Planet Side. They both seemed promising before their release. What happened? (my finger's slipped off the pulse of online gaming)

I went to Best Buys to get Halo and of course the two stores I went to didn't have it. :(
  • edited December 1969
    Monthly fee = not for me (vlt)

At the ECG Grim was playing Shadowbane a lot though.

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    Re: What ever became of...
    Shadowbane and Planet Side? Shadowbane's $20 bucks now and I
    haven't heard anything on Planet Side. They both seemed
    promising before their release. What happened? (my finger's
    slipped off the pulse of online gaming)
    I tried the PlanetSide 1-week trial. It was OK, as a game, but the performance was terrible and there were very few ways to tweak the graphics to get improvement. My system had a GF3 backed by 768 MB of system RAM and any big battle was a slideshow, single digit FPS. That's just as a foot soldier... forget about trying to be a pilot. Since the numero uno attraction of PlanetSide is big battles, and in fact the whole experience point system is tailored to pack as many players into a small area as possible, that just didn't cut it. I would have been paying a monthly fee to exclusively do support roles, like running energy to behind-the-lines stations.

I may try it again when I get a new system. Even if the performance improves, tho, I have some doubts about the gameplay, which may or may not be eventually addressed by the developers. I guess I won't go into that here. :-)

• edited December 1969

I played Planetside for a couple months, and had a great time. Granted, I've been out of the FPS world for some time, but it really impressed me. As witih all online games, some nights are better than others just due to the luck involved in finding some good action. With that said, the scale of battles and the cooperative use of vehicles made it extremly fun.

-Cauldyth

P.S. It probably wouldn't take much to get your system to a state that would run it well. I played it on an Athlon 1400, 512 MB RAM, and a GF4, and it ran smoothly with full graphic detail, even in the biggest of battles. I'm guessing the GF3 is the weak point.

• edited December 1969

Yeah, I'll give it another try when I build a new gaming system later this year, if it still has a community then.

• edited December 1969

Well, I've got a new box now, and I got the 30-day trial going for PlanetSide. So far so good, although I haven't yet got into a big battle (just figuring out all my keybindings again and re-certifying... dinnertime now).