#CP# UT2004 Co-op INVASION!

edited April 2004 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I'm trying out running a #CP# Co-op Invasion server for Unreal Tournament 2004. Drop on by if you see it in the server list... or open up ut.clanplaid.net in the server browser.

Cya there!

_/ C

• edited December 1969
    Re: #CP# UT2004 Co-op INVASION!

It sucks that ECGVI is over, can we have another next month, hehe. UT2004 was great. Never had so much fun with one game. I'm buying it, we rocked at that game.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: #CP# UT2004 Co-op INVASION!

Cool, I'll check it out tonight.

• edited December 1969
    A Request.

Would it be possible to turn off the team damage? I was just playing with Burnout and the toughest part was not the waves but our teamates tk'ing us by accident. The bots are better shots but when you get all human players in there it's deadly.

Translocators would be cool too but not vital.

Thanx dude.

-Croaker-

• edited December 1969
    Done!

I've switched to zero friendly fire, and as soon as I get home tonight I'll try enabling the translocator.

One other thing I mentioned to Croak last night while we were playing -- I picked up a cool mod that adds more monsters from the original Unreal: Krall mercenaries armed with assault rifles, the Stone Titan and the Skaarj Queen. The nicest thing about it is that the waves are a bit easier to configure than the built-in Invasion game type.

If anyone's interested, I'll hook that up one of these nights. Also, I'm open to setting up other game types and such. Just let me know what you'd like. I think it's possible to set up a voting config that lets you switch games AND maps, so I'll experiment.

Oh, and if you're gonna get on the server, hop on hotline.clanplaid.net first and see if anyone would like to join! I got lucky and noticed Croak was on last night and hopped in for several enjoyable rounds.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Done!

I'll be checking out the server more soon when we get a lull in the product cycle here at work. If a regular time or night starts developing let me know... as long as it's not some early weeknight thing like Halo Night. :-)

• edited December 1969
    Re: Done!
    I'll be checking out the server more soon when we get a lull in
    the product cycle here at work. If a regular time or night
    starts developing let me know... as long as it's not some early
    weeknight thing like Halo Night. :-)
    heya JL. Sometimes the halo night goes to 10-11pm West coast time. Of course that is not always the case.

Spit

• edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Done![/b]

[quote]
    I've switched to zero friendly fire, and as soon as I get home
    tonight I'll try enabling the translocator.

One other thing I mentioned to Croak last night while we were
    playing -- I picked up a cool mod that adds more monsters from
    the original Unreal: Krall mercenaries armed with assault
    rifles, the Stone Titan and the Skaarj Queen. The nicest thing
    about it is that the waves are a bit easier to configure than
    the built-in Invasion game type.

If anyone's interested, I'll hook that up one of these nights.
    Also, I'm open to setting up other game types and such. Just let
    me know what you'd like. I think it's possible to set up a
    voting config that lets you switch games AND maps, so I'll
    experiment.

[/quote]
    By the way, when I connected last night my client autodownloaded that mod. So even though you don't have the mod activated (right?), something about the way it is installed on your server is pushing it to the clients. Unless mine was just behaving strangely.

Random comment: Grendelkeep is one of the best maps in the invasion rotation.

Not so random comment: While I am far from being tired of doing invasion co-ops with you guys after 2 sessions now :-), I imagine most people would agree that invasion would have more staying power as long-term entertainment if it had more structured bad-guy behavior. (More like Myth co-ops in other words.) Obviously the guys at Epic/DE went with something that they could implement easily on non-modified DM maps, and that's fine, but with the ingredients they provided I bet someone will cook up a less random invasion mod soon. Perhaps this one for example:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371981

Or the ones listed under "co-op" here:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349801

I haven't actually tried any of those, I just searched for "invasion" on the forum. :-)

• edited December 1969
    Other Fun Coops

After we got done playing Invasion last night (great Fun with Carch, Johnny Law, Ramses II, Moridin and BadKarma... Oh, and Riker "INCOMING"), I went looking for an Onslaught game (I love this and Assault). I hopped on a big game of 20 players and went to it. My team got it's butt kicked so badly the first game I got pissed and started yelling orders on voice comm to my teamates and typing admonishments when they wouldn't listen. After a few spankings the tides turned and we started handing out the whoopins. I thought "finally I get on a good team" right when I notice, with some embarassment, that me and one other guy on the other team are the only 2 humans in the game. :\n
    I don't know what the difficulty settings were but I'd be curious to pit a human team against high difficulty bots. From what I understand, there is a voice recognition in the game so you can give verbal commands in voice chat to bots on your team. There's even some secret commands that make them do silly things like dance. You can give group and individual orders to your team bots via the comm menu as well. I've noticed that the bots are pretty good in Onslaught but aren't as good in Assault (though they do defend pretty well).

Maybe some game rotations of Onslaught, Bombing Run (very fun game), and Assault. Humans against Bots.

• edited December 1969
    Re: Other Fun Coops

Hmm. On the one hand you can usually get more satisfying competition playing those gametypes against humans; but on the other hand, playing against bots we would get to all be on the same team for once. :-)

That reminds me, I'm actually interested in trying out some beginner-level UT2K4 teamplay league or ladder if we could find a good one, and if we have a lot of people interested (because honestly, I won't be available all the time for games, and I imagine that will be true of you guys too).

view.php3?date=2004-02-16&res=l
  • edited December 1969
    P.S.

Meant to include this in my other post. :-)

20040216l.jpg
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Leagues/Ladders[/b]

The guys I play MW4 with are doing some kind of UT team. I don't know how organized or active they plan to be, but they're good guys and they don't generally suffer from the head-in-ass disease that runs rampant in gaming communities. They'll all know my name, and one or two might even remember Zin, Wang, Nate, or Lino. I really haven't been involved with it, so I don't know any details, but they have a (Practically barren) public forum up at:

http://www.talonsplace.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=7a768ce1e8dfc5d3eccfc2760bc27913;act=SF;f=33

Also I know that TWL (http://www.teamwarfare.com/) runs a load of UT2k4 ladders. A friend who is on staff there says the UT stuff is pretty well run, if you're really interested. I won't attest to the maturity of the community there, it's probably fairly standard for an FPS; but the MW4 ladder was well run and consistently fair for as long as it lasted.

Ramses II
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Fraghouse Invasion[/b]

[quote]
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=371981

[/quote]
    I downloaded and tried Fraghouse Invasion.

It is ... how you say ... "pure shit".

Like poop.

From a butt.

-Gabe

[quote]
    Or the ones listed under "co-op" here:

[/quote]
    [quote]
    http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349801

[/quote]
    I'll check out some of those.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Leagues/Ladders

I dunno if I want to go through the emotional exercise of teaming with a bunch of new folks, but I'll check out their UT server (if they have one?) or buddy-search them next time I get some online play time. As for TWL, I had a good impression of them back when I was involved in Tribes or Tribes 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're better than OGL et al.

20040216l.jpg
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Like this...[/b]

[quote]
    It is ... how you say ... "pure shit".

Like poop.

From a butt.

[/quote]
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2003-07-02&res=l