City of Heroes

edited May 2004 in Gaming

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Anyone else trying this? I read some favorable reviews, so I decided to plunge in and buy the game this weekend. The buying part was easy as I just downloaded the full game directly off of the cityofheroes.com website, where you can also download the manual in pdf format. Those of you that like CDs and paper will want to look for it in the stores, of course. About 800 MB total for the download, but I was getting 160 KB/s so it only took an hour.

Basically it is a super hero MMORPG, set in a near-future world populated by street gangs, undead, aliens and cults all trying to overrun Paragon city and its law-abiding populace, with only you and the thousands of other wanna be super heroes there to stop them.

Kind of cheesy, but it is meant to be, and they handle the "super" aspect of it pretty well. You punch with satisfying thunks, run as fast as cars, jump over walls, etc. with flying, teleportation and such reserved for the higher levels. Gameplay is very easy, as there is very little item managmement and all the controls are pretty intuitive, simple and customizable, most of it mouse and 4 movement key driven. You can either solo through a nice mission-driven plot or fight random purse-snaching thugs and such, or get together with a team of your mates to fight evil as a group. Team play seems to have potential, especially if you have a solid party together with the right mix of skills.

The character creation is so detailed such that if you wanted to, you could recreate almost any traditional super hero you liked, or more enjoyably, make up your own special blend. I think I spent 2 hours before I even played the game, going through the costumes and skills just playing around. And since there are millions of permutations for the way your character looks, there is very little chance you will run into anyone else who looks like you, unlike a lot of the other MMORPG games out there.

The cons: no demo yet, windows only, and the renewal price after the first free 30 days is steep for the genre at $15 a month if you do month to month, lower if you pay for more months in advance.

Anyways, if other people are interested, I will be giving it a go as long as my 30 days are running, and if I like it, I'll get a few more months out of it I am sure. I am currently playing on the "Infinity" server.
  • edited December 1969
    Re: City of Heroes

Drug pusher!

-Cauldyth

• edited December 1969
    Drug pusher!

-Cauldyth
    I reinstalled daoc and have been playin on mordred (the pvp server).

Been having a blast and only loggin a few hrs a night, 4 nights a week.

mmmm drugs =p
  • edited December 1969

EQ2 beta signups are open!

-Cauldyth

• edited December 1969

Shh Cauld, he's helping defend the free world! EQ and its hell spawn sequel could well be classed as a WMD. :)
  • edited December 1969

-Cauldyth
    heh, sent my app in on Monday, when they first took applications =p
  • edited December 1969
    Shh Cauld, he's helping defend the free world! EQ and its hell
    spawn sequel could well be classed as a WMD. :)
    heh I'll never forget walking by a few security forces guy and hearing one of them bitch "man i wanna fucking go home and play some eq!"
  • edited December 1969
    I bought it today

If I can get a GD account activation code... I'll be creating a character soon.
    I'll see if I can get on your Infinity server.

N8
  • edited December 1969
    And, I LIKE IT!

I have been playing it for only 2 nites... but my initial reaction is... This is FUN!

The character creation phase is incredibly detailed (in a good way), but when I played in my first TEAM battles last nite, it reminded me of the good old dayz of MYTH CO-OPS. Tons of neet baddies who display some decent AI and a great feeling of comraderie after beating up some tough thugs.

And, unlike Planetside, the in-game team chat and other ways of communicating and following your group is VERY Sweet! Diablo 2 is a multiplayer game that plays better SOLO. This game actually plays better as a TEAM.

I may be hooked. :)

Yes, my first Character (AlienOne) is a level 6 on the Infinity Server.

Cyas there!

N8

• edited December 1969
    I'm John Law on the Infinity server

"Johnny" was taken. :-) Level 7 technology tanker right now. I've put AlienOne on my friends list... are you guys still playing? Wang, what's your character(s)?

• edited December 1969
    Re: I'm John Law on the Infinity server

Hailz Mr. Law!

I am still playing it. I have five characters, one of each type.
    My hours for gaming are wildly fluctuating these days.. mostly 11pm to 2am PDT.

I will post all their names when I get a chance. My highest is only a Level 12 and the other 4 are all level 9 or 10. I have enjoyed playing the game this way, rather than having one super-char race up the levels.

N8

AlienHenge, AlienToo, and 2 more I forget.

• edited December 1969
    Re: I'm John Law on the Infinity server
    I am still playing it. I have five characters, one of each type.
    My hours for gaming are wildly fluctuating these days.. mostly
    11pm to 2am PDT.
    I'll probably overlap that between 11 and midnight one of these nights. :-)
    I will post all their names when I get a chance. My highest is
    only a Level 12 and the other 4 are all level 9 or 10. I have
    enjoyed playing the game this way, rather than having one
    super-char race up the levels.
    Yeah, it looks like there's enough variance in the missions and city areas that there's not much deja vu. (I am getting a bit tired of that one "warehouse" layout though.) I just started another character, "Mr. Twister", currently a level 4 defender in the storm summoning and electric blast power sets.

My tanker has reached the Perez Park mission & I'll probably need a group for that, and of course defenders are best in groups just in general. I've actually had good luck so far in finding spontaneous teams, but if you or any other Plaiddies are up for some teaming on the Infinity server I will be too.