new thread- Thread colors

edited June 2001 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Netscape 4 doesn't support whatever it was method that you were using. I upgraded to Nestcape 6. Now I can see colors.

Unfortunately, when I upgraded to NS 6, I lost 6 months worth of email. I can't seem to import the old emails into NS 6. That's why I don't bother to constantly upgrade. Changing all the damn POP and SMTP settings each time drives me nutz!!!!! I knew something like this would happen. Too late, I'm fooked.

Darklord
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: new thread- Thread colors[/b]

[quote]
    Unfortunately, when I upgraded to NS 6, I lost 6 months worth of
    email. I can't seem to import the old emails into NS 6. That's
    why I don't bother to constantly upgrade. Changing all the damn
    POP and SMTP settings each time drives me nutz!!!!! I knew
    something like this would happen. Too late, I'm fooked.

[/quote]
    Maybe not. The mail's still there, Netscape 6.x just can't see it yet.

From http://home.netscape.com/browsers/6/faq.html?cp=n6i:

Will my bookmarks and other preferences be copied to Netscape 6?

Yes. When you first start Netscape 6, you'll see "profile migration" screens that allow you to copy your profile and preferences from your earlier Communicator or Navigator version to Netscape 6.
    From http://home.netscape.com/browsers/upgrade.html?cp=n6f#trnsf_mail:

Transferring mail, bookmarks, and other files and settings
    If you are upgrading from Communicator 4.5 or Navigator 4.5 or later, Netscape 6 automatically transfers your bookmarks, address book entries, local mail folders and the messages they contain, mail filters, connection settings, and preferences.
    If you are upgrading from a Communicator or Navigator version prior to 4.5, when you install Netscape 6 you have the option of copying or transferring your bookmarks, connection settings, and preferences to the new version.
    Did you do the profile migration?

--MuffinHead

[img]http://www.clanplaid.net/~muffin/questionmuffin.gif[/img]
  • edited December 1969
    Just installed it myself

Installed Netscape 6 on Mac OS on both my machine and my mom's. Both installs went fine, with all old preferences, bookmarks, mail folders, and even most settings copied over. Its support of CSS rivals IE's, and it renders the pages very nicely, except for an intermittant graphical anomoly here and there with tables that I saw. I'll try my best to fix that.

--MuffinHead

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Re: new thread- Thread colors
    Did you do the profile migration?

--MuffinHead
    Never saw it, it wasn't an option.

I've always been a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Darklord

• edited December 1969
    Re: new thread- Thread colors

I've always been a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix
    it".
    Fair enough, but it should run automatically, if you only have one profile (the case of my machine and my mom's machine). In the case of multiple profiles, it should have offered you a list of profiles to migrate.

If it never offered it to you as an option, it probably did migrate your old settings. Did a window pop up saying "Moving profile (this could take a few minutes)"?

Either way, your mail should still be stored on your hard drive, as long as you didn't delete all your old Netscape 4.x files yet. You may be able to merge it by hand into the Netscape 6 directory. I'm not familiar enough with Windows to tell you how.

--MuffinHead

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Hey Foolio! :)

I've always been a fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix
    it".

Darklord
    Now Infin knows why some people still us NS3. Heck, care to guess how many folks still have 28.8 modems?

Yo DL! Invite me over for some chow, I'll fix yer machine no problemo! Seriously!

- Free / Miguel

Bungie Sightings
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Hey Foolio! :)
    Now Infin knows why some people still us NS3. Heck, care to
    guess how many folks still have 28.8 modems?
    Thats the one difference between me and DL. He sees a working browser. I see one that has been broken for 4 years.

I mean heck, Myth: TFL works, who needs this Myth III contraption? :)
  • edited December 1969
    Back end, front end...
    Thats the one difference between me and DL. He sees a working
    browser. I see one that has been broken for 4 years.
    A good friend of mine now works for a web design company (he does mostly db programming for them). They have decided NOT to work around any bugs in any browsers. This way, surfers see how broken or not things really are. IMHO, the competition should be among the browsers to fit the standards out there, not among the web designers to see who can figure out the best bug-hiding hacks.

charon.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Back end, front end...
    A good friend of mine now works for a web design company (he
    does mostly db programming for them). They have decided NOT to
    work around any bugs in any browsers. This way, surfers see how
    broken or not things really are. IMHO, the competition should be
    among the browsers to fit the standards out there, not among the
    web designers to see who can figure out the best bug-hiding
    hacks.
    FYI, I have a few Web design friends at the "big ten" traffic getter sites, and they all do usability and they make sure their pages look good in all of the top % Browsers their users are using.
    All good Web design begins with good information on who is using your site and how.

As far as your friend's company I sure hope that isn't their attitude towards their users and customers, because unless they are a M$ or AOL, I know very few companies online who can afford to alienate users.

On numerous occasions I have asked what the % breakdown is of CP.net users, but noone has volunteered that info. Any ideas from the logs?

thanks

• edited December 1969
    Right On
    IMHO, the competition should be
    among the browsers to fit the standards out there, not among the
    web designers to see who can figure out the best bug-hiding
    hacks.
    And hacks they usually are, nasty hacks, time-consuming hacks, hacks that bloat code and complicate changes.

Like Infininight points out, it's about perceptions. If you perceive your browser to be up-to-date, you'll continue to hold that thought as long as things are being made to compensate behind the scenes. When people start to realize that their browser is actually "broken", we'll being to see a shift away from the old browsers of yore. As more and more Web designers decide to use current technologies like CSS instead of deprecated technologies like FONT tags, the Web can get out of this rut it's in, and being to evolve again.

--MuffinHead

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Back end, front end...
    On numerous occasions I have asked what the % breakdown is of
    CP.net users, but noone has volunteered that info. Any ideas
    from the logs?
    Yeah, sorry I've ignored that one. I guess I'd be the one to figure that out. I used to have a web stats thingy running on the logs, but after we swiched to Debian, I never had the energy to get it running again. It's kind of tricky to get working right with the log rotation. I'll try to look at getting it to work again soon. After that, I'll get you an answer :)

charon.gif