NWN: a bad sign...

edited February 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    Interview question posted on "a land far away" NWN site (http://www.alandfaraway.net/biowareinterview.shtml):

Question 2 Custom Tilesets:
    How does the client receive the custom tileset? Does the client download the tileset automatically from the server if it does not have it? If not, what happens when a tileset is missing? Does the client still run? If so, what tileset is used instead?

While we are interested in supporting user-created content, the support for user-created content in the initial release will be limited by the time we have available. Provided that we manage to include custom-content support for our initial release, the game will require that the user download the resources to the proper location beforehand, prior to the user joining the module.

• edited December 1969
    Re: NWN: a bad sign...

Carch: I'm pretty sure this means that there may not be support for people who try to create custom monsters, or tilesets (such as a desert tileset) that don't ship with the game. In terms of how players will use modules created with the toolset, i.e. whether you auto download when you connect to a server or whether you have to dl first, install, then connect, I don't know. I'd guess it's going to be more like Myth, where you dl, install, then play.

Ultimately, I'm guessing they will provide some manner of support for people who create custom content outside of the toolset. Still, who knows?
  • edited December 1969
    Re: NWN: a bad sign...
    Carch: I'm pretty sure this means that there may not be support
    for people who try to create custom monsters, or tilesets (such
    as a desert tileset) that don't ship with the game. In terms of
    how players will use modules created with the toolset, i.e.
    whether you auto download when you connect to a server or
    whether you have to dl first, install, then connect, I don't
    know. I'd guess it's going to be more like Myth, where you dl,
    install, then play.
    Yes. All indications point towards a non-supported (just don't call tech support about it) method for adding content (tilesets, models, skins, etc.) Bioware will need a method in place for their own hack packs, and it wouldn't surprise me if they either include a pathological hack pack (i.e., something so simple that a hex-editor could decode it in a flash), or somehow release the file structure for a hack packs.

They *want* this, but they don't want it to break things. They don't want to have to go back and fix things (like TFL's patch to suppport the plugins folder).
    Ultimately, I'm guessing they will provide some manner of
    support for people who create custom content outside of the
    toolset. Still, who knows?
    Even if they *don't* support it, I expect that someone will reverse engineer the whole shebang within a month. :^)