[Croaker #CP#V] Viva la USA!

edited March 2003 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    "France has neither winter nor summer nor morals. France has usually been governed by prostitutes. Apart from these drawbacks it is a fine country."
    -Mark Twain-

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me."
    -General George S. Patton-

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf-

"We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
    -Marge Simpson-

"As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure"
    -Jacques Chirac, President of France-

"As far as France is concerned, you're right."
    -Rush Limbaugh-

"The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
    -Regis Philbin-

"You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the 1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the face for it."
    -John McCain, U.S. Senator from Arizona-

"You know why the French don't want to bomb Saddam Hussein? Because he hates and wears a beret. He is French, people."
    -Conan O'Brien-

"I don't know why people are surprised that France won't help us get Saddam out of Iraq. After all, France wouldn't help us get the Germans out of France!"
    -Jay Leno-

"The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into Paris under a German flag."
    -David Letterman-

How many Frenchmen does it take to change a light bulb?
    One.
    He holds the bulb and all of Europe revolves around him.

Next time there's a war in Europe, the loser has to keep France!

• edited December 1969
    Re: Viva la USA!

Do you wonder why there is so much anti-US sentiment right now?

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    Do you wonder why there is so much anti-US sentiment right now?
    I think the reasons why are abundantly clear to just about everyone.

However, just because France happens to be right in this case, it doesn't make them any less annoying ;)

-Mori

• edited December 1969

"What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?" -Dennis Miller-

What do you call a Frenchman advancing on Baghdad?
    A salesman.

American to Frenchman: "Do you speak German?"
    Frenchman: "No."
    American: "You're Welcome!

"Did you see the new bomb the government came up with? It weighs 21,000 pounds. The Air Force tested this bomb in Florida and the bomb blast was so strong at Disneyworld 25 French tourists surrendered."
    -Jay Leno-

True Story: A friend of mine went to France last year and while he was there he wanted to see the war memorial at Normandy. Nobody knew of any or if there was one, how to get to it or even why anyone would want to visit Normandy Beach in the first place. In fact he couldn't find a single French local who knew the significance of that location.
  • edited December 1969
    I think the reasons why are abundantly clear to just about
    everyone.

However, just because France happens to be right in this case,
    it doesn't make them any less annoying ;)

-Mori
    The only anti-US sentiment I see is from terrorists and the French. There are anti-Bush sentiments concerning Iraq but those are from people who hate Bush for his party or are against war for any reason (their absence during the bombing of Serbia and the Chinese Embasy under Clinton indicates their hipocrisy and politics, not their humanity).

The French government is dead wrong in not wanting the liberation of Iraq and in not honoring their alliance with the U.S., over and over again. They even rejected a treaties of disarmament BEFORE Iraq had a chance to respond to it.

If the tables were turned, the U.S. and the U.K. would leap to France's aid.
  • edited December 1969

You look like a stooge, man. I don't find these posts funny, I find them sad.

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    You look like a stooge, man. I don't find these posts funny, I
    find them sad.
    I think perhaps you should lighten up a bit then, for your own sake. It's ok to laugh at france jokes, or blonde jokes, or the like. Limiting yourself to politically correct humor is counterproductive.

I agree that the way our government is abusing and humiliating one of our closest allies is shameful, but the only thing "sad" in croaker's posts was the normandy story. I don't believe that for a second, croaker, and even if it were true it wouldn't be much different than one of the countless street polls showing that the average american can barely find any country besides the us, canada, and mexico on a map. If it weren't for saving private ryan, i wonder what % would think normandy was "that country with the vikings".

-deacon the 1/4 frenchman
  • edited December 1969
    I think perhaps you should lighten up a bit then, for your own
    sake. It's ok to laugh at france jokes, or blonde jokes, or the
    like. Limiting yourself to politically correct humor is
    counterproductive.
    I guess I find it hard to be light-hearted when a country is about to bomb thousands of people into bitties. 8(

I didn't find the jokes "politically incorrect"... just... grossly ignorant?

questionmuffin.gif
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Viva la USA![/b]

::Sigh::

Earlier today, I had typed a very long post concerning Croaker's post about France and Muff's response to that post...

Then the power went off at the shop and all that I had typed was lost. I thought that maybe it was a sign that I should stand back and let it go.

Now I can't...

Croaker posted something that for some was funny, for others was less than amusing...Such is life. Each has an opinion about world events. Each has their own personal feelings concerning the events that will (and are NOW) taking place in Iraq. That is as it should be.

The ability to have that right to freedom of expression, freedom of thought, freedom of beliefs, came about on the backs and on the lives of many who have taken up arms in defense of our way of life. I am one of those people. I have taken an oath, that for all intents and purposes, says that I will give my life if needed to defend the United States from our enemies, both foreign and domestic. It was my choice. I made that choice of my own free will almost 15 years ago, and am getting ready to do it again for 5 more years.

I have read where you guys are basically pitying Croak for what he posted. Telling him to lighten up. Telling him that he is a stooge.

Well...if that is the case, then you should lump me in there as well. I am a stooge. Please pity me some as well. Please tell me that I am grossly ignorant...

Please give me a break...

(Much time and Much typing later)

I just erased another long and winded speech about France, and Iraq, and our ability to hit a target 1 foot across from 35,000 feet, and all the stuff that Iraq has done...and....it doesn't matter. It is like trying to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig. (Not calling any of you swine, Just saying it served no purpose)...Guys, we have alot more to discuss than that. We are a composite of equal yet opposing forces. Some are pro, some are con...But ALL are Plaid. Voice your opinions...but try to do it without insulting each other. This war will not last forever...And neither will we if we cannot listen to each other and critisize constructively, not destructively.

I'm going to bed...

Goodnight...

McGyver#CP#
    Warrior Brigade
    "For Fun and Honor"

"When we assumed the soldier
    we did not lay aside the citizen" -George Washington
    Inscribed on the Amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery

[url=http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/visitor_information/amphitheater.html]Arlington National Cemetery[/url]
  • edited December 1969
    Heck, I just thought it was funny ;-)

But, then, I don't think there's anything you can't make a joke about.

RII
  • edited December 1969
    I agree that the way our government is abusing and humiliating
    one of our closest allies is shameful, but the only thing
    "sad" in croaker's posts was the normandy story. I
    don't believe that for a second, croaker, and even if it were
    true it wouldn't be much different than one of the countless
    street polls showing that the average american can barely find
    any country besides the us, canada, and mexico on a map. If it
    weren't for saving private ryan, i wonder what % would think
    normandy was "that country with the vikings".

-deacon the 1/4 frenchman
    Our government abusing and humiliating one of OUR closest allies? We may be Frances closest ally but they are definately not ours. They've proven that way before their UN veto.
    Unfortunately my Normandy story is a fact. I can see why you'd choose not to believe it, at least a 1/4 of the way. ;p
  • edited December 1969

You have got to explain to me how you could find those jokes offensive.

ps. I'm glad I deleted the ones I thought were malicious before posting them. Sheesh.

• edited December 1969
    Thank God I'm not the only one who thought them funny ;> [nt]

• edited December 1969
    [b]Re: Viva la USA![/b]

The LAPD, The FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test. Separately, he releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.

The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist.

The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and they make no apologies. The rabbit had it coming.

The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is yelling: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!

Presidents Ford, Reagan, Carter, Nixon and Clinton were on the Titanic. On that fateful night the ship hit an iceberg and began to sink...
    Ford screamed, "What should we do?"
    Reagan said, "Man the lifeboats."
    Carter said, "Women and children first."
    Nixon said, "Screw the women and children."
    Clinton said, "Do you think we have time?"

On the sixth day God turned to the Archangel Gabriel and said: "Today I am going to create a land called Canada. It will be a land of outstanding natural beauty. It shall have tall majestic mountains full of bears and eagles, beautifully sparkling lakes bountiful with trout, forests full of elk and moose, high cliffs overlooking sandy beaches with an abundance of sea life, and rivers stocked with salmon." God continued, "I shall make the land rich in oil so that the inhabitants will prosper. I shall call these inhabitants "Canadians", and they shall be known as the most friendly people on the earth."

"But Lord," asked Gabriel, "don't you think you are being too generous to these Canadians?"

"Not really," replied God. "Just wait and see the neighbors I'm going to give them.

Q: Why wasn't Jesus born in the USA?
    A: God couldn't find three wise men and a virgin there.

Four literary scholars are conversing over drinks after a day at an international meeting. As the drinks begin to take effect, the British expert begins bragging.

"Britain produced the finest form of literary expression in the sonnet," he says. "It's fourteen lines of perfect romantic expression."

The Irish scholar retorts "Ireland produced a far more effective and efficient literary form in the limerick. In just five lines, we can express a variety of thoughts, many of them making fun of you Brits".

The Japanese savant calmly says "In Japan we have perfected literary expression in the haiku. We express the most profound concepts in just three lines and seventeen syllables."

The American jumps up and says, "Well, we can beat that. We've perfected communication with a one-unit literary form, and we've covered our entire country with it. It's the billboard".

An American presidential election features four candidates. One advocates negotiating new and more extensive arms control treaties, one wants to set up new programs for elementary schools, one wants to end all taxation and set up extra printing presses to print the money to pay the government's debts, and one advocates invading Mexico "to finish what we should have done in 1846". The one concerned about arms control smoked marijuana in college, the one concerned about education has a brother with connections to organized crime, the one with the innovative fiscal policies is a minister, and the imperialist has been charged with drunk driving five times. So which one wins the election?
    (hi-lite text below)
    The one who's never been accused of adultery.

An American anthropology professor is lecturing on how to recognize the dominant features of a culture.

"It's quite simple," she says. "Just look for the things to which, or for which, people make great sacrifices. In medieval Italy, look at how much money the people gave to the Catholic Church in their devotion to Jesus and the Virgin Mary. In pre-Columbian Mexico, look at the sacifice of humans on the Aztec altars of their gods. Even in modern India, look at the outrageous burdens placed on people in their remarkable veneration of cows. When people let something dominate their entire lives, to the extent that they don't even notice it anymore, that's the key sign of cultural obsession."

"As a final note," she goes on, "it's striking that America is free of any dominant cultural obsession. That may be one of the hallmarks of a true democracy."

She begins to pick up her books. "I'm sorry, but that will be the end of lecture for today. My car's in the shop to have its radio repaired, and I need to get my rental car out of the parking lot before I get a fine, buy some gas, get across town before the rush hour traffic gets too bad, and pick up my car before the garage closes. I'm sure you all want to beat the traffic too. Class dismissed."

When NASA was preparing for the Apollo project, some of the training of the astronauts took place on a Navajo Indian reservation. One day, a Navajo elder and his son were herding sheep and came across the space crew. The old man, who spoke only Navajo, asked a question that his son translated. "What are these guys in the big suits doing?"

A member of the crew said they were practicing for their trip to the moon. The old man got all excited and asked if he could send a message to the moon with the astronauts.

Recognizing a promotional opportunity, the NASA folks found a tape recorder. After the old man recorded his message, they asked his son to translate it. He refused. The NASA PR people brought the tape to the reservation, where the rest of the tribe listened and laughed, but they refused to translate the elder's message to the moon.

Finally, the NASA crew called in an official government translator. His translation of the old man's message was "Watch out for these guys; they have come to steal your land."

What do you call a person who professionally generates maps of the world?

A cartographer.

What do you call an academician who studies the global distribution of resources or cultural characteristics?

A geographer.

What do you call a person who is ignorant of global geography?

An American.

This is the transcript of a radio conversation of a US naval ship with Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland.

Canadians:
    Please divert your course 15 degrees the South to avoid a collision.

Americans:
    Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees the North to avoid a collision.

Canadians:
    Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

Americans:
    This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

Canadians: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course.

Americans:
    THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS LINCOLN, THE SECOND LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES' ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, I SAY AGAIN, THAT'S ONE FIVE DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTER-MEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

Canadians:
    This is a lighthouse. Your call.

An American attending a formal ceremony in Britain listens as the formalities end with the singing of "God Save the Queen". As a reception begins afterwards, he strolls up to one of his British acquaintances and accosts her with a musical observation.

"That was a very nice song you folks just sang, but it wasn't very inventive of you to use that particular tune."

The Brit looks at him quizically and asks. "What do you mean? That's always been "God Save the Queen."

"Well," the American replied, "I guess you Brits don't even realize how much you owe us Americans. The words were new, but that tune was clearly plagiarized from our "My Country, 'Tis of Thee".

Three recently deceased persons, a Brit, a Russian, and an American, are making their way down to Hell. Each is carrying something with him: The Brit is carrying a shovel, the Russian is carrying an extra pair of shoes, and the American is carrying some cans of liquid. As they trudge along, the American asks his comrades why they're carrying the things they are.

The Brit responds, "Well, sir, I know the Devil keeps it awfully hot in Hell, and he makes blokes like us shovel coal to keep it that way. I was always fond of this particular shovel when I worked in the mines back home, so I brought it along for the job."

The Russian responds, "Like our comrade says, it's awfully hot in Hell. These shoes have thick soles that protected me from the ice and snow of Siberia, and I'm hoping that they can save my feet from the hot ground on which we'll be toiling for eternity."

The American puts down his cans and says in disbelief, "If it's as hot in Hell as you fellows say, then do you mean I'm not going to be able to get ice for my Coca-Cola?"

The hostess at a British historical site was trying to arrange tours for the visitors, so that they could hear the tour in their respective languages. "Auf Deutsch, hier", she called out, and "Francais ici". As the tourists separated into groups, one man was left in the middle. She walked over to him and asked, "Do you speak English?".

The man responded with a bemused look, "Well, ma'am, I've been in your country three weeks, and I'm not sure anymore, so I'll let you decide. I'm an American."

A Canadian couple was strolling through a park in London and sat down on a bench next to an elderly Briton. The Brit noticed their lapel pins sporting the Canadian flag and, to make conversation, said "Judging by your pins, you must be Canadians".

"Indeed we are", replied the Canadian gentleman.

"I hope you won't mind my asking," said the Brit, "but what do the two red bars on your flag represent?"

"Well," replied the Canadian gentlman, "one of the bars stands for the courage and hardiness of our people in settling the cold expanses and broad prairies of our country. The other is for the honesty and integrity for which Canadians are known."

The Brit mulled this over and nodded. Having poor eyesight at his advanced age, and not being familiar with maple leaves, he then asked, "And what's that six-pointed item in the middle of your flag?"

"Oh, that's to remind us of the six words of our national motto," the Canadian lady piped up.

The Brit asked, "And what are those six words?"

The Canadian smiled and replied, "They are 'Don't blame us - we're not Americans.'"

A Cuban, a Frenchman, an American, and an American lawyer are riding on a train. The Cuban begins praising one his nation's most famous products.

"In Cuba", he says, "we make the world's finest cigars. Just smell this beautiful hand-rolled cigar. Furthermore, we make them in such abundance that we can waste them with impunity". Saying that, he tosses the cigar out the window of the speeding train.

The Frenchman responds, "Oui, that is quite true, and in my country we make the finest cheeses". He displays a hunk of fine cheese to the others and says, "France is famous for its fine cheeses, and we produce so much that we too can waste them without a thought." Saying that, he casts the cheese out the window of the train.

The American gets up and throws the lawyer out the window.

What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

"Multilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

"Bilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

"An American".

An American traveling abroad was accosted by someone unimpressed with her homeland:

"You Americans killed off the natives of your country, you stole half of Mexico, you pillaged the rest of the world, and now I've heard you want to take over half of Canada if Quebec splits away from that country! Have you no shame at all? Haven't you made enough of a mess already?"

The American quickly shook her head and said, "No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. Are you joking - with our terrible health care system, with our education system in disarray, with our entire social fabric torn apart, we aren't looking for new territory. We're just waiting for Ontario to annex us!"

Sign on the wall of the American Army Green Beret headquarters:
    "If you kill for joy, you are a sadist.
    If you kill for money, you are a mercenary.
    If you kill for both of the above, you are a Green Beret."

A French in Paris ask one tourist:
    - Do you want to hear one funny story about stupid Americans?
    - Hey, guy, I'M AMERICAN!
    - No problems, I can tell this story twice, if you don't understand at first.

[url=http://bs.bungie.org/]Bungie Sightings[/url]
  • edited December 1969
    get out

I'm annoyed at the American bashing by someone named 'Freewill'.

I know the first thing I do when next time I see McGyver is shake his hand for his part for my counrty.

Darklord
  • edited December 1969
    I didn't find the jokes "politically incorrect"...
    just... grossly ignorant?
    The real sad part is that you don't think that you yourself are ignorant. Anyone who thinks that they are not, are.

Yes, those France jokes gave me a chuckle. So did the anti-American ones that freewill posted. Many a truth is said in jest.

Darklord
  • edited December 1969
    Re: get out
    I'm annoyed at the American bashing by someone named 'Freewill'.

I know the first thing I do when next time I see McGyver is
    shake his hand for his part for my counrty.

Darklord
    Thank goodness your other post clarified that you 'get' what my post was about. Or else I'd tell you to lighten up. :)

VIVA CP!

Bungie Sightings
  • edited December 1969
    Re: Viva la France!
    Our government abusing and humiliating one of OUR closest
    allies? We may be Frances closest ally but they are definately
    not ours. They've proven that way before their UN veto.
    Care to elaborate?
    Unfortunately my Normandy story is a fact.
    I wasn't disputing your story, rather your friend's. Just like the best jokes, the best stories take a hint of truth and stretch it for effect. If you honestly believe the average frenchman doesn't know the historical significance of normandy, you're far too gullible.
    I can see why you'd
    choose not to believe it, at least a 1/4 of the way. ;p
    What a classy thing to say. Surely my opinions have no basis other than my grandparents' origins. I'm 1/4 german too, so i guess i must be one conflicted dude. And one hell of a good veto-er.

-deac
  • edited December 1969

France is definately the most vocal, and they're definately annoying; they've pretty much fought us on every international issue that's come up for years. This time there's not alone though. There are plenty of countries denouncing us besides France. Far more than are supporting us:

"Russian President Vladimir Putin today led a chorus of international reaction -- much of it negative -- following early-morning U.S. missile strikes on Baghdad. Putin, speaking to ministers in the Kremlin, said the U.S.-led war in Iraq was a "big political mistake." He said military action is being conducted "in spite of the principles and norms of international law," and called on the U.S. to halt the attack."

"Foreign Ministry spokesman Kong Quan said, in China's view, military action against Iraq violates the norms of international behavior. Kong said the attack "ignores the opposition of most countries and peoples of the world and goes around the UN Security Council, which constitutes a violation of the UN Charter and basic norms of international law." He said China expresses "grave concern," and "strongly [urges] relevant countries to immediately stop military action and go back to the correct path of finding a political settlement and seeking the best way to solve the Iraq problem within the UN framework.""

"Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou, whose country holds the rotating European Union presidency, expressed regret that the Iraqi crisis had not been solved peacefully by the international community. He said the EU's relations with the United States are going through what he called "a significant crisis" because of Iraq, and called for "a frank and open trans-Atlantic dialogue.""

"The Vatican condemned the U.S. attack as a "defeat for reason." Cardinal Roberto Tucci, speaking on Vatican Radio, said the war is "beyond all legality and all international legitimacy.""

"Pakistan's information minister, Sheikh Rashid, expressed regret over the start of the war. He said Pakistan sympathizes with the Iraqi people, and emphasized the United Nations did not approve the war."

"Malaysian Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi described the U.S. attack as "a black mark on history." He said the world is now witnessing that "might (power) is right." "The world is now at a critical juncture following the action of the United States and its allies, which will go down as a black mark in history," he said. The United States, as "a large and powerful nation, along with its allies, has acted with disregard for international law, humanity and universal justice. It has launched an attack against a sovereign state that has diminished capacity to defend itself."

"The president of Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim state, Megawati Sukarnoputri, urged the UN Security Council to hold an emergency meeting and also called on the United States to halt the war."

"New Zealand's Prime Minister Helen Clark reiterated her government's opposition to the war."

That's not to say there's nobody supporting us. The UK, Italy, Japan, S. Korea, Australia, and a few others are with us. However, the bulk of the international community is not.

-Mori

• edited December 1969
    I'm totally offended!

Yeah right. Those were hillarious.
    That first one KILLED me, but I don't get the last one. Could you explain it to me again?

Maybe Deac could help me out with 1/4 of it. hehehe

How can you tell that the toothbrush was invented in Arkansas?
    Because if it wasn't it would be called a teethbrush.

(Watch, Muff will be pissed at me for poking fun and Deac will be 1/4 Arkansas-ian)
  • edited December 1969
    bilingual
    What do you call someone who speaks three languages?

"Multilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks two languages?

"Bilingual".

What do you call someone who speaks one language?

"An American".
    I don't have an objection to any of these jokes, I thought many of them were funny. I did have a question about the issue discussed in this joke, though, particularly for our non-American readers.

More than half of the people in my graduate program are foreigners, and I've travelled to other countries, and most of the people I meet that I get to know, the two languages they speak are the native language of their country and English. I've probably met more non-Americans than the average American, but that's not a particular impressive comparison, so I was wondering how typical my impression is.

I took classes in Latin in high school. I was interested in it, but there wasn't much reason to keep up with it once I left. Spanish and French were also options, but I had more interest in Latin from an academic perspective, and while both of those languages were used in places I might be interested in going, neither had the penetration of a language that I already spoke: English. The Americans I know who are bilingual tend to either identify strongly with their pre-American culture or have a very strong interest in a specific area of the world (such as Latin America or Germany).

So I guess my question is, does it really make sense to classify Americans as ignorant because of how few are bilingual, when so many people who are bilingual speak the language native to where they live and English, which for Americans is the same language? Particularly considering how many _good_ reasons there are for calling Americans ignorant.

And, again, this is not an objection to the joke, it merely reminded me of an issue I had thought about before.

- Kodiak
  • edited December 1969
    Speaking of latin...

Do you still speak it well enough to translate "For Fun and Honor" into latin?

McGyver
  • edited December 1969
    You were with me...

...in some form of rationality until you put Miss Clark into the mix.
    "New Zealand's Prime Minister Helen Clark reiterated her
    government's opposition to the war."
    Our seventh state needs to be silenced. We'll let the sheep talk for them. ;)

-Cob
This discussion has been closed.