Does this sound much like the Microsoft we know and 'love'?

edited December 2003 in General Discussion

Comments

• edited December 1969
    If passed, I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of the ilk of the iTMS, or MSN's music shop, which in a few years, will no doubt be labelled as the pioneer of online music stores. Then again, maybe Apple's given itself enough of a head start on this one. I saw a young lady walk into an Apple Centre a few days ago, ask for a 20 gig iPod, told the assistant she'd be using it on Windows, transferred her dosh, and left.

How long until IntelliPod? ;)

-Cob

Microsoft pushes content standard
  • axxaxx
    edited December 1969
    Re: Does this sound much like the Microsoft we know and 'lov
    If passed, I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of the ilk
    of the iTMS, or MSN's music shop, which in a few years, will no
    doubt be labelled as the pioneer of online music stores. Then
    again, maybe Apple's given itself enough of a head start on this
    one. I saw a young lady walk into an Apple Centre a few days
    ago, ask for a 20 gig iPod, told the assistant she'd be using it
    on Windows, transferred her dosh, and left.

-Cob
    I'm betting on Wal-Mart owning the online music industry. That is, if P2P doesn't win ;)

-ax
  • edited December 1969
    [b]Yes, it sounds exactly like MS.[/b]

[quote]
    If passed, I have a feeling we'll be seeing much more of the ilk
    of the iTMS, or MSN's music shop, which in a few years, will no
    doubt be labelled as the pioneer of online music stores. Then
    again, maybe Apple's given itself enough of a head start on this
    one. I saw a young lady walk into an Apple Centre a few days
    ago, ask for a 20 gig iPod, told the assistant she'd be using it
    on Windows, transferred her dosh, and left.

[/quote]
    If you dig a little deeper, you'll find that this Content Reference Forum is just a new means of hyper-linking. It's just marketing. It's not content -- it's free advertising provided by media consumers.

Here, read an overview. Basically, it works like this: if you watch a movie, on TV, pay-per-view, DVD, etc, and you like it, and you want to tell a friend about it, then you can send her a Content Reference File, and the file will check with the content owner and send your friend the content in a media the user can use based on the friend's country, hardware etc.

After she forks over some dough, of course.

What formats will the content-provider support? Why, the standard ones of course. And who will provide them, Duh -- who's supporting this proposal? And who will support the networks and software needed? (duh again) And will competing but superior technologies like those provided by Apple survive?

Will you be able to see the movie without a connection to a content owner? Remember how well the Original DivX went over? (not the codec, the pay-per-view DVD). This is just a resurrection of that effort to limit consumer's rights to media they purchase.

[quote]

[/quote]
    How long until DVD's are pay-per-view only?

I hope this whole effort falls flat on its face.

--
    Chief