Total war idea

edited August 2006 in WoW: General

Comments

• edited December 1969
    I realize that most of the WoW players are interested in the PvE grind but is there any interest in this PVP idea?

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-pvp&t=585656&p=1&tmp=1#post585656

Cull
  • edited December 1969
    That sounds like fun!
    It makes me want to start a toon on that server.
    Is a PVP server fun or is it overly frustrating?
  • edited August 2006
    I have played on a PVP server. There are frustrating moments but it is usually do-able. I guess the worst that could happen is you play for a couple days and give up at level 20-30 something. Not much time lost if it isnt enjoyable and you always have the Staghelm alt.

I am tempted to do this just for the heck of it but it would be more fun if we reconsituted a CP brigade!
  • edited December 1969
    And guess what they need badly, Warlocks! Because of their summoning capability - so that they can redeploy quickly.
  • edited December 1969
    If what you're suggesting is that you and DL transfer over, I don't think you can transfer PVE -> PVP...

But I'm intrigued by the idea of trying a pvp server too. If we want to roll some characters over there I could join in. I'd prefer if there was some sort of schedule though. Both to make the leveling process more fun by grouping and to leave the rest of the time for Staghelm.
  • edited December 1969
    I would vehemently discourage joining any guild who has as a goal amassing as many DHKs as possible. DHKs are there for a reason: to discourage griefing quest npc's.

If people are interested in trying a pvp server to see what it's like, if you join the Alliance on Stormscale, I'd be happy to log on with Belenus when needed if the gankage gets out of hand. :)
  • edited December 1969
    So I am scouting out the Total War guild on Haomarush under an alt named Maggot. So far they seem like a good group of 30 or so on any given night. They are mostly low level (25 or below) with a few 60's (I have never seen more than 2 60's online at the same time). There are a few nearing 60 though.

Last night they raided Southshore and then went to Astranaar. I think they are still a little weak for those raids yet but they had fun.

Chief, I hate to disagree but if you read their charter etc they are out to make world PVP fun. They also want to promote a positive community so as a group they want people to play with honor and to help fellow guildmates and horde when possible. Also, they dont support ganking Alliance per se. They are not out to make the game unplayable for low level alliance etc. They want honorable large scale combat.

Further the goal of Total War is not to amase DKs. Some people may not want DK's and the leadership realizes this. So there will be special squads that go in to kill civilians so that the others will not get DKs.

Deac, if you want to try Haomarush feel free. Its a relatively new server with a smallish population and a significant skew towards alliance. So far it has been pretty quiet so I have had no trouble leveling though I have yet to get to contested zones. Having played on the PVP server Spirestone, it can be a pain to play PVP without a guild to back you up but it can be done. Usually its not too bad, just the occasional ganking. It does add a sense of danger (frustration?) to quests in contested zones. But otherwise its not that different from PvE in my experience. Thats why I was willing to try Total War on Haomarush since they want to change the mindset of the players and the style of the game.

Anyways, if anyone wants in they are very friendly and so far seem very active in a non-raiding sort of way.
  • edited December 1969
    Actually now I am not certain if it is worth while. I still want to play with the CP crowd on the few opportunities that I get. Having just read what is planned for the expansion (see link below) I may not pursue an alt on a PvP server. If I am dilligent I might get another alt to 60 by the time the expansion arrives...

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/world-of-warcraft-expansion/725327p1.html
  • edited December 1969
    I finally started reading about the next patch, and love what i've heard. It sounds like not only will mass-pvp be easier to join with the new battlegrounds, but hardcore team pvp will be what it should be. I can easily see a handful of CP battlegroups of 2-6 people who play in the gladiator system. I hope they match people with something like the War3 ranking system, because there are lots of burly men out there.

While I do like the idea of raiding stormwind and killing the king or whoever the hell is in charge of the filthy hoomans, I don't know that it's worth leveling someone to 60 to do so. My existing alts are taking long enough to hit 60 as it is. If I want a sense of danger I can always gratuitously flag myself in contested areas if I want to, and de-flag if I really need to get a quest done. I don't have the killer instinct to gank random alliance minding their own business - I usually try to trick them into a duel so I can buff them, actually. That confuses the hell out of them ;)

Since my schedule has been really unpredictable lately and I'm planning to move soon, any talk from me of rerolling should be taken very lightly. It could happen, but I'm really happy with how things are for now. After the move when I'm on a more stable schedule, who knows.

(and thanks for the high explosives, I look forward to wreaking havoc with them)

-deac
  • edited December 1969
    The idea of the neutral town was something you (Cull) were talking about months ago.
    Looks like you will finally have it, and the way you wanted it too!

I'm not pleased that they are giving paladins more tanking ability. Why bother with a warrior if you can heal yourself and be invulnerable?

PvP looks like the changes could be good.

The elves on cocktrices? Blah! Stupid dranei get a bison, horde get a chicken! =(

The raid cap at 25 sounds like a good idea - but I'm not an expert on the subject. (Although just getting a "good" 10 man group for UBRS can really suck!)

Oh - and the total war idea is still cool. It's not about the HK's or the DK's - it's about putting Horde against alliance - the way it should be.
  • edited August 2006
    Darklord... The biggest problem with a paladin tank: he'll need to be innervated. The reason for adding it is simple. With dungeon size reduced to 25 men, you'll need the ability for the hybrid classes to actually be played as hybrids in these instances for certain encounters. If you can only fill a raid with 3 or 4 tanks, and suddenly, there's some trash mobs that need to be tanked by 5 different people (thinking MC Core Hound packs, for example), then call in the Druid or Paladin. I say for trash mobs, specifically because if it were for a boss, you'd just drop the paladin and bring in a tank. But for trash, you don't want to swap people in and out for each pull. Anyhow. I wouldn't feel threatened by it, DL. Just like rogues and hunters shouldn't be threatened by shamans getting some offensive boosts. We'll still primarily be healers.

And as for the PvP changes, I don't want to weigh in until I've seen rewards. If suddenly all the work I put into hitting HWL is made completely obsolete, I'll be miffed. But I guess we'll see.
  • edited December 1969
    Garumako wrote:
    And as for the PvP changes, I don't want to weigh in until I've seen rewards. If suddenly all the work I put into hitting HWL is made completely obsolete, I'll be miffed. But I guess we'll see.
    Silly statement. You have your HWL weapons, you have your HWL shield and armor. You're getting good use out of them, and they will continue to be phat lewtz. They aren't going to take them away. How will it be obsoleted?

Yes, in the future there may be better items available by spending a comparable or even more time doing the pvp thing ... in fact I'm sure that will be the case ... so what?
  • edited December 1969
    I think what Garu it trying to say I can explain more by example.

Let's take a skill like tailoring. I made a character and started right away with tailoring. I leveled the character and increase my skill in tailoring as I went along. The whole process of reaching 300 took many weeks and was a constant goal. It became an important part of the everyday playing of that character. With each kill, you looked for linen or wool or mageweave or runecloth to further your skill along and make yourself something usefull. What am I going to do today? I need to try and get some pearls or something to make that robe I just hit the level requirement to wear. It becomes an important part of your daily activites.

Then one day Deacon (Mendicant) decides he doesn't like the profession he has, and decides to take tailoring to make himself his epic preist robe. He's already level 60 - so getting the mats isn't a problem. He just buys whatever mats he needs to level up or takes them from the supplies he's been stashing on one of his mules. In a day or so, he'll hit he level 300 skill and make his robe.

By the way - this did happen. I was glad for Deac that he got his robe. However, it made all my hard work and time and AH scanning every day seem worthless. I still retained my skill, but he was able to do in a day what took me many long weeks to do so. It kinda took some of the wind out of my sails on what I had accomplished when I realized that these skills really aren't that big of a deal.

I am in no way mad at Deac or anything. =)
  • edited December 1969
    Darklord wrote:
    I think what Garu was trying to say was: He worked his butt off to reach HWL. If they change the system so you can get equivalent or better gear without putting in nearly as much time or effort, he will be miffed that he took the hard road to hit rank 14.

Of course, he'll have been able to use the items for weeks and weeks before he would have been eligible for them when they change the system, so it's not a total loss. And of course, hopefully the PVP grind was fun for him as he was doing it!

As far as your crafting example, well, thats more a consequence of the way professions are. My first character took leatherworking/skinning, and it was quite fun tracking down the means to make my own gear as I went along. But I can see now, crafting like that is a real money sink, since you would be better off taking mining/skinning or herbalism/skinning and selling the mats to buy AH gear. I don't regret it though, it was fun to be self sufficient.
  • edited December 1969
    Side note-
    Hey Cull - what warlock build you using?
    I'm set as a SMruin type build (or I think that's it).
    I know you do a bunch of PVP- but is it good ofr instances?
  • edited December 1969
    Patroclus wrote:
    Darklord wrote:
    I think what Garu was trying to say was: He worked his butt off to reach HWL. If they change the system so you can get equivalent or better gear without putting in nearly as much time or effort, he will be miffed that he took the hard road to hit rank 14.
    I'm 95% convinced it will still take the same amount of time. It might actually be less effort, since there will be no honor decay so you don't have to cram all that time into 12 hours a day or whatever. :)

Personally I think it's a good thing. It's crazy to force people to run a treadmill at some obscene pace in order to get these rewards.

I totally understood what he was saying, my response was don't sweat it. His accomplishment won't be diminished, it will only enhanced by the new system. He'll be on his rocking chair, retired on some farm on the Barrens, telling the young'uns "Back in my day, you couldn't take a break from the honor grind! Yessir, you had to work hard for many weeks, nay months before the Horde would recognize ye for your accomplishments. Y'all have it easy today, working at your own pace..."
  • edited December 1969
    firechief wrote:
    "Back in my day, you couldn't take a break from the honor grind! Yessir, you had to work hard for many weeks, nay months before the Horde would recognize ye for your accomplishments. Y'all have it easy today, working at your own pace..."
    Oh shit. I'm going to be talking like you one day Chief?
  • edited December 1969
    From what I read it sounds like this...

Blizzard knows that not all people can do the PvP grind to make it to HWL, but they want all to be able to get HWL quality goods. So they are institution some type of money system. You do good enough in one week you get the Nuget. do ok the next you get 5 Logins. Do poop you get 5 Poopies.

Finally when you want to buy that last item, you have to give them your 12 Nugets, 134 Logins & 200 Poopies.

But I could be wrong.
    Vrag
  • edited December 1969
    Darklord wrote:
    Side note-
    Hey Cull - what warlock build you using?
    I'm set as a SMruin type build (or I think that's it).
    I know you do a bunch of PVP- but is it good ofr instances?
    Hails DL,

I am Demonic(SL)/Affliction. I like having nightfall, grim reach, and improved life tap plus all the bonuses from demonology. It gives me decent survivability in the BGs.

I used to be Destruction/Affliction when I was leveling but in instances I tended to get too much aggro. With my current spec I still do decent damage but dont do it so fast that I end up getting myself killed.

Cull